Electrician Talk banner

New AFCI requirement

5K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Matt 
#1 ·
Anybody dealt with an inspection where the new 2008 AFCI requirement is in force? Say, on an old house, partial rewire?

How are the inspectors dealing with the sort-of broad scope of the 2008 code requirement, especially where semi-dedicated circuits such as circuit for dishwasher/garbage disposal; circuit for refrigerator; and circuit for furnace?

#5 ·
Check with local AHJ because a lot of us West Coasters are only enforcing 2005 when it comes to AFCI protection. I would be concerned with a furnace on an AFCI because of nuisance tripping.;)
A furnace doesn't require AFCI protection.
The AFCI is also supposed to differentiate(SP) between normal arcing a relay or switch makes and fault arcing. I was reading on them yesterday since a new project we are working on will require an additional $4,000.00 for AFCI's.

#6 ·
Most houses we do are 400-800A services, with 2-4 sub-panels and 2 oustside panels. It'll be at least another $2k-$4k for every house. Even on small houses it'll be another $700 or $800. Add to that the fancy weather resistant receptacles and the tamper proof receptacles and all the other BS, and they're pricing people out of buying a house.

#7 ·
Most houses we do are 400-800A services, with 2-4 sub-panels and 2 oustside panels. It'll be at least another $2k-$4k for every house. Even on small houses it'll be another $700 or $800. Add to that the fancy weather resistant receptacles and the tamper proof receptacles and all the other BS, and they're pricing people out of buying a house.
$800 certainly won't price anyone out of buying a home, however they may have to cut back on all of the fancy extras. And the way that I look at it is, better that $800 in my pocket than the carpenter's.

#8 ·
Here in upstate NY we just went from 1999 nec to 2002 residential and 2005 commercial. One AHJ said arc-fault for new branch circuits in bed rooms, but on service upgrades we don't have to do it. Anthor city AHJ did not know what I was talking about. For a Service Upgrade or new service around here we have to bond the load side of the natural gas meter, water pipe and ground rod back to the panel, I was told soon we may be bonding the duct work off the furance too.

#11 ·
We did a service change and upgrade. Any new circuit we add will have to have arc-fault CB and tamper proof recep. I just finished another job and when I bid it I told HO that it would require arc-faults and TP recep. and he was fine with that and thought it was a good idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.