Electrician Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I'm interested in becoming an electrician but I have a couple questions that I need to ask. Before I ask these questions, I've decided on his path because it seems more stable for long term work, I've tried the computer route and failed so I've decided to do something more traditional with a base of public relations.

Okay as for the questions...

1. I'm black and I have Sickle Cell Beta Thalessmia. My question basically is "how physical of a job an Electrician can basically become"? If possible what's the least physical job that a electrician does? My Sickle Cell will act up only under times in which I overdue it, meaning I have to be careful in the amount of energy I actually use, any really physical activies like digging with probably aggravate it.

2. If I realize that I can handle the position, can someone point me in the right direction of a good school in Florida to become a electrician?

Thanks....

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Will.

Electrical work can be heavy, sweaty and arduous. If you have energy expending problems then this industry is not for you.

Frank

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Options!

Will958, This industry/trade can be quite grueling.But it is endless.

That in no way is to discourage you or anyone else from entering it.
This industry is HUGE. (wireless etc..,many wires involved)
Perhaps if phisycal is a restriction, it realy is'nt. Engineering is a great option (why one wants to drive a train...).Terrific career path. Your brain works good,right?

So get some feild exp. and see what your body handles, But plan for the future!!!:thumbsup:

We Need smart,experienced engineers (we have alot now).

I guess I'm saying.. Start and expand.:thumbup:

·
Registered
57 Posts
up here in the midwest we have what we call low voltage techs that basicly do all of the telephone and other low voltage pay is good and not to strenous. no trenching or 4 inch rigid to hang over your head. but good steady work. but still in the construction trade.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi Will,
This trade can be physically demanding or not so much, depending on what we are doing. I worked for years in the industrial end and that could get pretty intense with installing large heavy conduit and wrestling with large size wires. Residential wiring is usually not very physically demanding. I would talk to a few local electrical contractors and see what they have to tell you. Good luck. :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts