Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I am from tampa,florida and thinking about signing up for the local IBEW...

Any advice of last minute words before I join and start working?

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
Hello all I am from tampa,florida and thinking about signing up for the local IBEW...
Any advice of last minute words before I join and start working?
Yes, I don't think it's as simple as signing up. At least I don't think they're that hard up in FL. It's not like joining the Army, where pretty much everyone who's medically fit can get in. It's a genuine interview/selection process.
What have your contacts with the IBEW been like so far?

By the way, welcome Pyro:thumbsup: If you're salting the board, feel free. All perspectives of our trade are welcome, as long as you're nice. :laughing:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I don't think it's as simple as signing up. At least I don't think they're that hard up in FL. It's not like joining the Army, where pretty much everyone who's medically fit can get in. It's a genuine interview/selection process.
What have your contacts with the IBEW been like so far?

By the way, welcome Pyro:thumbsup: If you're salting the board, feel free. All perspectives of our trade are welcome, as long as you're nice. :laughing:

oh no I already did the paper work and gave them my high school stuff and math and took the test and have not yet did the interview...

I can't wait. I come from a manufacturing background so the future did not look that bright. I hope the future looks bright in elecrity

·
Registered
31,884 Posts
Welcome to the site.

I am a union contractor, and see pluses and minuses to both union and non-union. I find that these issues are best not discussed on some forums (not sure about this forum) as some people are overly sensitive pro and con anything union.

I will tread lightly and say work wise I see little difference, I have worked both. For me the big thing was higher pay, better health care and retirement that transfered from contractor to contractor. As an employeer I joined the union to give me employees the best as I saw it of all the items mentioned.

I do not believe in strikes or salting.

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
I find that these issues are best not discussed on some forums (not sure about this forum) as some people are overly sensitive pro and con anything union.
So far, it's not really a big deal here either way. It's nice to get all viewpoints. As long as people maintain their composure and don't name call and such, it's working fine to openly discuss union and non-union matters. I find electricians to be a little more adult about these things as compared with maybe bricklayers, for instance. Where the line will get drawn is when union vs non-union discussions cross over into political discussions, which is inevidably where they often end up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts