Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ready for this one boys? Opening freezer door trips arc fault breaker. WHY? Its a kitchen remodel that has separate dedicated lines to each appliance. The arc fault circuit is strictly lighting. I checked all neutrals and grounds and even the feeders for subpanel where circuits originate. Everything is tight. What could it be?

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
I was going to say it's probably an issue with the heaters in the door of the refrigerator. But if it's not on the same circuit then I'm at a loss.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
if the freezer has a light that comes on when you open the door it might be a wiring issue.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Unplug the refer from it's circuit, and run an Xcord to some other source

check for effect

~CS~

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
it's called science. science is the ability to repeat and experiment and get the same result. you open the door and the ckt trips. you do it 3 times and the ckt trips 3 times, you have an issue (like, say, reversed polarity on the wiring for the light in the freezer, or the whole freezer, or the freezer neutral is shorting to ground, something along those lines)

·
Electron Pathway Engineer
3,105 Posts
I understand that would trip an arc fault but the arc fault only trips when the freezer door is opened
Sounds like a wire is being compromised inside the fridge.

The other option is to not open the freezer anymore. :laughing: Just kidding. But it sounds like the fridge has a wiring issue.

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,895 Posts
AFCIs also have GFI in them. It's not the 5ma personnel protection type, but if the light in somehow faulted to the ground (even through water or ice), it'd cause a trip.

·
Freelance Member
1,370 Posts
micromind said:
AFCIs also have GFI in them. It's not the 5ma personnel protection type, but if the light in somehow faulted to the ground (even through water or ice), it'd cause a trip.
Huh? Not the combination arc fault misconception again

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Unscrew the lamp and try again. There is only one thing that I can think of that changes state when you open the fridge door: The button that turns the light on/off.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,816 Posts
Remove the GE arc fault breaker and insert another brand. I have no Idea how I know it's GE, but somehow my telepathy says it is.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts