Electrician Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Wall street has forgotten to visit them. If only Manhattan washed away to sea at 12pm on a Wednesday.

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
Well this is interesting, first they insist all licensed electricians be updated to the '14 by the end of '14. Then they throw the one major resi $$ change under the bus! :eek:

Cowhampshire always seems full of surprises....:whistling2:

~C:jester:S~

·
Registered
785 Posts
I think the bill is written very poorly. Why would new construction be omitted? If you are going to try and get them amended, go the whole way and not let there be any loopholes for inspectors to fight you on

·
Can't Remember
10,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New construction is not omitted, it's replacements and service work that seems to be. Like I and others have said, the problem is not exclusive to new construction. After spending about two hours trying to figure out how to make a compliant install for a customer with AFCI receptacles because they had FPE and won't replace panels, and then get hassled because there was problems with one of the units, it gets old. This was all inspected and permitted. Not anything new for people who work with these.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
New construction is not omitted, it's replacements and service work that seems to be. Like I and others have said, the problem is not exclusive to new construction. After spending about two hours trying to figure out how to make a compliant install for a customer with AFCI receptacles because they had FPE and won't replace panels, and then get hassled because there was problems with one of the units, it gets old. This was all inspected and permitted. Not anything new for people who work with these.
What we've done is if they want more receptacles or whatever we run a new circuit and pop in a 6 or 8 circuit panel and put the afcis in that. Or just dont pull a permit and get her done. :laughing:

·
Registered
785 Posts

..shall not adopt or enforce any rule requiring the installation of arc-fault circuit-interrupter protection in any new residential construction project.
To me that implies new work as oppose to old work. Again, poorly written and executed.

For those customers who have Federal Pacific equipment, you should educate them on the dangers and if they cannot budget for replacement, offer alternatives like the ones already suggested - subpanel, AFCI receptacles, etc

·
Banned
11,766 Posts
I can see an AFCI receptacle turn into a fire cracker trying to clear a fault the FPE breaker is still warming up to.

Can anyone put this in MH, the guys on there will love this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts