Electrician Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A lot of talk about boots on here. These are wolverine steel toe ($100), my second pair and I love them. Comfortable and not to clanky. My previous pair of the same boot lasted 8 months and they got the chit beat out of them. Concrete floors, 50 hour weeks. I could of kept wearing then but they smelled like hot garbage. And if anyone is wondering? The tuff toe works and is worth the money.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
If they aren't made in America they are part of the problem. Some stuff I don't draw a hard line on but footwear is near the top for me, tools above that.
If it's not comfortable I am not going to wear it for work, American made or not.

I am a Doc Marten man because they are unbelievably durable and those soles just do not wear out.

Everything else I try to wear doesn't last 6 months.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If it's not comfortable I am not going to wear it for work, American made or not.

I am a Doc Marten man because they are unbelievably durable and those soles just do not wear out.

Everything else I try to wear doesn't last 6 months.

Same here. I love my Docs. I have 3 pair, one is inside metatarsal for certain plants that require it. Most comfortable boots I've ever had.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Same here. I love my Docs. I have 3 pair, one is inside metatarsal for certain plants that require it. Most comfortable boots I've ever had.
I have yet to wear out a pair of Doc's. Seriously, I wear them until they get so stained I have to replace them so I look somewhat professional.

The soles are the best I've found on a boot. I wore a pair for 4 years, 40 hours a week, never had back pain and the soles were just then showing noticeable wear.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have yet to wear out a pair of Doc's. Seriously, I wear them until they get so stained I have to replace them so I look somewhat professional.

The soles are the best I've found on a boot. I wore a pair for 4 years, 40 hours a week, never had back pain and the soles were just then showing noticeable wear.
I've wore out 2 pair. One pair the heel ripped off the sole, and one pair the sole split in half under the arch. Both were 2 yrs old. I won't buy any other work boot though except for working outside in below zero weather I have insulated Carolina's.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts
I think I might try a pair of those docs (my boots have about had it).

on another note, I just happened to go to the osha site to see what the regulation was for the toe and metatarsal , and I happened to read on page
21 where it says that non-conductive boots are NOT supposed to be worn
in explosive atmospheres (I can't explain - I'm just gonna say 2 things: 1) oops lol and
2) why the heck didn't the gas company mention this in our training session ? )

https://www.osha.gov/Publications/osha3151.pdf

I couldn't find a copy of the current ASTM F2413-11 (without paying for it). But suprisingly
Grainger (!) had some good reading material
http://www.grainger.com/content/qt-protective-footwear-standards-252

Footnote: I couldn't find any ASTM info on the doc marten website - are they rated properly for
use in the US ?? (the ones that were linked above showed 200 joules/15knewtons, which exceed
the requirements, but if the boots aren't stamped with the ASTM F2413 number are you allowed
to use them at, say, a federal facility where you are required to have boots that meet that ?)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I filtered for ASTM on their site to bring those boots up, so they are rated. They also have the same boot in inside and outside metatarsal versions. I have a pair of the inside metatarsals for use at certain customers that require it.

·
Can't Remember
11,077 Posts
Those look close enough to the timberlands I have been wearing and the price is similar. Mine have been making it about six months. This latest pair I bought in August. They have been comfortable enough, but usually the sole splits in this case, the back near my achilles has split. Like to try something new to see if it'll last longer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.