Electrician Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I ran into a Challenger 200-amp main panel, most likely installed in the early 90's. Most of the breakers were Challenger-brand breakers from the original installation, but some were Siemens-brand breakers from a remodel about 5 years after the house was built.

Anyway, I need to add a 15-amp tandem breaker. The only one I had with me was an EATON BD1515 / A1515 (labeled "Types BRD, & A" and "HACR type"). I didn't put it in because I wasn't sure if it would be compatible.

Here's a picture of the label on the panel:

Would the breaker I had on hand be compatible? If not, which brands could I use?

I can never keep track of which company owns which, and which breakers are compatible with which panels, and vice versa... Does anyone know of a chart or something that has all this information organized so I can reference it in the future?

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,796 Posts
Keep in mind, although it should be obvious, we are talking about Cutler Hammer "BR Series", not "CH Series".

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, going back to that Challenger panel... About half of the breakers in the panel are Siemens type QP breakers. I've been trying to find documentation on these to see if they're classified for use in the Challenger panel, but I can't find anything that says so.
Anyone have any thoughts on this compatibility? (Of course HO has never had any problems; seems as though they've never even opened the panel before in their life.)

Also, this place has a newer Siemens sub-panel that ironically has some Challenger breakers in it, most likely "recycled" from the main panel.

Thanks y'all for all the help! And, a few hours late, but Merry Christmas!

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Eaton is CH as well as Challenger, Challenger was a early 90's Homeline version sold cheap.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Challenger was the 90's "homeline" version from Eaton, the manufacturers of CH. Now BR is the new name.

·
Registered
249 Posts
When I can't get any Challenger breakers, I use Cutler-Hammer breakers. They are listed as a allowable replacement.

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
Cutler Hammer took over Challenger. There were a few years where the panels were branded Cutler-Hammer/Challenger right on the covers and stickers. Use a CH-BR or CH-CL

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
Everything good bears repeating.

You a Fanuc robotics or PLC guy? I've been to their HQ in MI for 'handling tool', 'pallet tool' and 'weld tool' classes on the robotic end of things.

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
Everything good bears repeating.

You a Fanuc robotics or PLC guy? I've been to their HQ in MI for 'handling tool', 'pallet tool' and 'weld tool' classes on the robotic end of things.
Multi-axis machine control for vertical lathes. I guess that would fall under PLC but in a different category. Don't know anything about their robotics but I'm sure they're as good as their PLC's.

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
Yeah, same servo amps and such in their machine controls as they use in the robots.

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
Yeah, same servo amps and such in their machine controls as they use in the robots.
:thumbsup:

From what I've learned so far, Fanuc is much more user friendly and parts are more readily available for obsolete equipment than Siemens. That's why we use it in all our machines unless the customer specs otherwise.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts