Electrician Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I was laid off from my job in insurance again for a second time this year. I have been behind a desk in corporate america for 8+ year and I am not really happy with it. I like working on my car as a hobby and I like being outside and working with my hands. Yesterday I went to Porter & Chester to look into it but its 27k for one year of schooling. They do gaurentee you a job when you get out though. Other then picking up a code book from a local library can any of you guys maybe in CT give me any advice about schooling or basic knowledge. Class starts on the 26th of this month and they teach you alot when I went to visit. I really need to either get back to work full time or go to school but I need to pay my bills. Please help, thank you

Jay

·
Banned
16,095 Posts
$27K??? It's almost doubled in only a half dozen or so years. That is a lot of money to spend.

I would reccomend you try getting a job with an IEC contractor and go to their school, or take classes at one of the state run schools. It's MUCH cheaper, but your schooling will be spread out over four years and twice a week, for three hours at night.

The only advantage to a place like P&C is that you're done with your schooling in one fell swoop. If you have money to burn then I say go for it if you can't stomach the possibility of going to school twice a week for four years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$27K??? It's almost doubled in only a half dozen or so years. That is a lot of money to spend.

I would reccomend you try getting a job with an IEC contractor and go to their school, or take classes at one of the state run schools. It's MUCH cheaper, but your schooling will be spread out over four years and twice a week, for three hours at night.

The only advantage to a place like P&C is that you're done with your schooling in one fell swoop. If you have money to burn then I say go for it if you can't stomach the possibility of going to school twice a week for four years.

See I dont have four years as I have to pay bills and make ends meet. If I am not able to collect and go to school for about a year this career change will not work. If I am not able to collect unemployment I am forced to find a job and I will most likley have to find one in the field I have experience in. I am 30 and I have my own place I wish I still lived at home but that is not an option. I wanted to see what other schools were out here in CT, how much and time it will cost me.

I do not think an IEC contractor will hire me without experience even if I do to school at night. I will find out tomorrow if I am able to collect and if that is an option I do have the chance.

Jay

·
Banned
16,095 Posts
See I dont have four years as I have to pay bills and make ends meet.

You'll be working as an apprentice by day and going to school by night. You won't be making much as an apprentice but you will be learning and gaining valuable skills - assuming you get in with a good contractor who actually has a desire to train you.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
You'll be working as an apprentice by day and going to school by night. You won't be making much as an apprentice but you will be learning and gaining valuable skills - assuming you get in with a good contractor who actually has a desire to train you.
To expand a little on this, after you spend 27k you'll still only get hired as a first year apprentice making the same hourly wage, the only difference is you will have all of your school hours done ahead of time rather than doing them over the course of 4 years at night. IMO, save your money, find work with a contractor that will pay for you to go to school at night.

On a side note, there are not a lot of jobs to be had right now. There are a lot of guys with experience who can't get a job these days, I can't see too many opportunities for green apprentices. I would check into the job market in your area before making any rash career decisions. As far as Porter and Chester guaranteeing you a job after you graduate, I don't know that they could back up that kind of guarantee (especially in this economic situation). JMO.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Definetly try to get a job as a green apprentice and try it out before dropping 27K on something you might not even like. Try to get into the Union program if you can. You'll make more money faster and get better schooling. If you've never worked construction you honestly don't have any idea what this is all about and it might be a huge shock to you.

If you can get free money for school I'd recommend getting a AAS in something. You could then transfer to a four year college and get a bachelors degree. While you're going to "real" school you can look for a job as a apprentice and apply to the union program. Most of these tech certifications are not worth getting. Down the road you have a huge school bill and no degree.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts