Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna buy a new desktop computer pretty soon. Thinking about an all in one. Don't really care about touchscreen though.
What should I look for???

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Going with MS because of my existing quickbooks.
I do not know what desktop are made now. If I was to look for a desktop I would look for something I could change out the internals.

Most come with the video, sound, Ethernet built in to the MB. Get one that has expansions slots for a video card and peripherals for such like the ethernet and sound.

Desktops are easy to r&r.

I have cases now that I can order less than 300$ of parts and have an up to date system.

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
Gonna buy a new desktop computer pretty soon. Thinking about an all in one. Don't really care about touchscreen though.
Imac has downloaded a ****load of weird **** and has had minimal viruses.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
For an all in one don't spend less than $1000. The cheaper ones are fricken garbage. Brands don't really matter other than stay away from Acer. Better off getting a separate tower and monitor as it is cheaper, but don't pay less than $600 for a regular tower. For what you use a computer for, you don't need more than an intel core I3 or I5. If it were me, I would buy a tower for $600-800, a 27" monitor, and a quality wireless mouse. Solid combo right there. You'll get better hardware and a nicer monitor for the same money by buying separate components versus an all in one.

·
Banned
1,486 Posts
Best buy has the apple desktop computer for a $ grand . Now , black friday
save $300.

I believe that you can run both OSX and Windows by sectioning the Hard Drive
I can on mine and its 6yrs old.

Apple has the built in Time Machine for awhile now.

The OSX still needs no antivirus ...but if sectioned for windows antivirus needed.

Pete

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
I have the latest issue of Consumer Reports... top rated "All in One"..DELL. model XPS 27 Touch... $1600.00

Just a computer.. Dell has (2) top rated models...

XPS 8700 Special Addition.....$1850.00

XPS 8700............ $800.00

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I do not even buy desk top any more. I always get the laptops now so if I need to take it with me I can, vacation, home on weekends, etc.

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will never,ever take a computer on vacation. Ever.
I have tried the laptop route but really didn't like it. I just am not the kind of person to take my work home.
Gonna stick with a desktop for now.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
please post what you end up with and how you like it.

Reactions: sbrn33

·
Banned
4,506 Posts
I will never buy any thing but apple.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts