Electrician Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, everyone!

I've been reading this forum for a couple of weeks now, and am truly impressed by the caliber of people that belong to it.

I'm new to the forum and the business. I'm leaving a career in IT for a more stable career as an electrician.

At the moment, I am looking at going to a vocational school in either CT or NJ. Can anyone recommend a good school in either of those states?

Also, in addition to unions, are there any other professional organizations
that are beneficial to belong to? I am really interested in talking to some experienced electricians that I can speak with to get a better idea what the career is all about.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give, and for what I've already learned just reading these threads!

CLVC

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I would look into Union apprenticeship, it wil be worth it in the long haul.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Randomkiller,

Thanks for the info. That's the route I'm leaning toward at the moment. How difficult is it to get sponsorship from the union? The IT world doesn't have unions (geeks are pretty anti-social at heart :laughing:), so this is a new world for me.

CLVC

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm not gonna touch the union nonunion thing, could get pretty ugly. But as far as school goes I went to New England Tech in Hamden,ct. It since changed to Lincoln Tech but is still the same school http://www.lincolnedu.com/campus/hamden-ct a few instructors are still there that I had and are really good. They also have job placement.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Welcome to the forum

I hope you find what you need here.;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome, and for the career info! I've learned a lot just from reading the other posts on this forum already.

CLVC

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
Welcome! :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts