Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am getting out of the military in a few months and debating applying at a JATC in New England (wife's hometown) vs. a JATC in central Florida (my hometown). I am trying to get an accurate breakdown of the pros and cons of each region since I figure I will be locked in for my apprenticeship.

I know the pay is much better in New England and not so good in the south, however the cost of living is also lower in Florida. I've heard the unions are much stronger in New England but that the work is much better right now in central Florida.

Can anyone give me some advice or insights since this will be a major move for me?

Thanks

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
Hello,

I am getting out of the military in a few months and debating applying at a JATC in New England (wife's hometown) vs. a JATC in central Florida (my hometown). I am trying to get an accurate breakdown of the pros and cons of each region since I figure I will be locked in for my apprenticeship.

I know the pay is much better in New England and not so good in the south, however the cost of living is also lower in Florida. I've heard the unions are much stronger in New England but that the work is much better right now in central Florida.

Can anyone give me some advice or insights since this will be a major move for me?

Thanks
Boston's Local 103 will be busy so you will do well up here...

http://www.bostonjatc.com

Welcome aboard and Thank You for your service..:thumbup:

·
Member IBEW LU #164
2,965 Posts
New England...Florida is a shambles - politically and economically. However Florida does have more cultural choices and better food.

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
New England states have better reciprocity for journeyman and masters licenses than Florida does. I can reciprocate my NH license to 16 or 19 other states, while Florida you can only reciprocate with Georgia. Something to consider if you ever want to leave Floriduh.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hello,

Thanks
In my experience with those two areas I found the cost of living very similar with the scale and or benefits in the north east made for a better living wage.

·
Member IBEW LU #164
2,965 Posts
One of your biggests loads of crap and that is saying something. :eek::laughing:
I have been to both places - and not the tourist spots. NE food is seafood...good seafood but not much else. Historical spots. The occasional beer fest.

Florida has lots of cultures clashing in one spot - great food, music, night life and lots of warm outdoorsy things to do all year round ( if you avoid where all the old New Englanders live ).

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
There's good restaurants in Florida because a lot of people from the northeast started restaurants there. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Screw all that. Come to iowa and make sure to take a layoff around deer and turkey season

·
Premium Member
18,612 Posts
Hello,

Thanks
If I had a choice between New England and Central Florida, I would chose New England hands down.
No offense but central Florida is more like most of the rural south. They like to be poor, it builds character. Its just a lifestyle choice due to the fact that their isn't much middle income cash flow in that part of the State.
Once you leave Palm Beach County traveling north, its pretty much retired people and poor folks bass fishin until you get into Virginia.
But,
what do I know, Ive only lived in and traveled Florida for 50+ years.

·
Premium Member
18,612 Posts
There's good restaurants in Florida because a lot of people from the northeast started restaurants there. :thumbsup:
We have incredible restaurants here in South Florida, I would say many are world class. I really hate to leave here and gamble on dining out in other States.
I was so disgusted with the food in Texas, especially the BBQ.

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
If I had a choice between New England and Central Florida, I would chose New England hands down.
No offense but central Florida is more like most of the rural south. They like to be poor, it builds character. Its just a lifestyle choice due to the fact that their isn't much middle income cash flow in that part of the State.
Once you leave Palm Beach County traveling north, its pretty much retired people and poor folks bass fishin until you get into Virginia.
But,
Wow, you're old. :laughing:

Never been a big fan of Florida, but a lot of people are. Everyone has to try and make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t at some point in their life, anyway.

·
Premium Member
18,612 Posts
Wow, you're old. :laughing:

Never been a big fan of Florida, but a lot of people are. Everyone has to try and make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t at some point in their life, anyway.
Dont get me wrong, the best time you will ever have in your life can be found here, also the very best of the beach and beach bodies are here.
Clubs and hanging out all night and dolphin fishing are the best in the world.
I enjoy every day here in South Florida.
Emphasis on the words "South Florida"

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
But,
Are you serious? You're from the "No hablas ingles" part of Florida and you think you think the state is the "rural south"? Florida is not like the "rural south" at all since its mostly populated by snowbirds who move here from the north. Have you been to Tampa, Orlando, or Jacksonville?

But I digress. I am trying to figure where I can get the best training as an electrician and where I can make the most money. Is everyone in agreement that Massachusetts is a better union state as an electrician?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Are you serious? You're from the "No hablas ingles" part of Florida and you think you think the state is the "rural south"? Florida is not like the "rural south" at all since its mostly populated by snowbirds who move here from the north. Have you been to Tampa, Orlando, or Jacksonville?

But I digress. I am trying to figure where I can get the best training as an electrician and where I can make the most money. Is everyone in agreement that Massachusetts is a better union state as an electrician?
Florida is probably not a good state to be in any kind of union being a right to work for less state

1 - 20 of 40 Posts