Electrician Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Customer hates he cant tune in his radio in his garage since we installed new fixtures(he supplied) any ideas how to clear it up? Tried diff phase and same phase, Moved antennae.

Ive never had anyone ask before so im all ears!

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
Shut the fixtures off and the radio will be fine. Problem solved.

BTW, I hope you get a helpful answer so I could start listing to the radio in my own garage with the lights on.

·
Slave to the grind
624 Posts
Go to Radio Shack and get an RF choke and try it...they are cheap. I had a sump pump causing interference on a flat screen once and that did the trick. The sump wasn't even on the same circuit, just close enough proximity to cause an issue.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Customer hates he cant tune in his radio in his garage since we installed new fixtures(he supplied) any ideas how to clear it up? Tried diff phase and same phase, Moved antennae.

Ive never had anyone ask before so im all ears!
Is it direct radiation from the fixtures ?

if so sheild ballasts.

Or is it radiated from the cables ?

A rf choke on cables.

·
Tool Fetish
716 Posts
I have the same problem in my house from the 10 LED lamps that I replaced the R20s with in the kitchen. I removed the electronic dimmer and installed a single pole switch. Same problem.:mad::001_huh::jester:

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
Never run into this. In a grounded metal enclosed fixtures would it actually be the lamps themselves acting like transmitters because they're being driven at 1.21GHz?

Dewalt battery chargers will do the same thing I am not sure what is the cause.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
who listens to the friggin radio ? stop listening to the radio, problem solved.

get internet. listen to internet radio.

get a blue tooth dongle from radio shack, hook that up to your stereo and play the tunes from your phone or laptop.

the only radio you should have in your house (besides your digital scanner, vhf 2 way, and /or ham) is maybe the stereo next to the pool table (which should never be kept in the garage, unless it's got environmental controls)

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Just because you can receive a radio station doesn't mean its a good signal !
The fact that its easily swamped suggests the opposite.
Its called poor signal to noise ratio.
If this is the case then its not so easy to fix !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts