Electrician Talk banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7,525 Posts
Hello I'm Bob. I am from Geneva IL, I was an electrician in the Navy and now I work in Cook county. I found this site searching for a Union video of romex starting on fire.
Yeah NM is always just bursting into flames spontaneously. :laughing:

In this area cable is king, be it NM, MC or AC.

This should give you a heart attack. :laughing:

Those pictures are of a 80,000 sq ft supermarket in CT, it was done maybe 8 years ago.

·
Registered
7,525 Posts
I know, I had no idea that we are the only place that uses conduit. Why would you want romex in your house if you could have conduit?
Why would I want conduit when I can use NM?

It makes no sense at all to require steel tube in a wood building filled with items that make toxic smoke.

One living room couch will make more smoke than all the NM enclosed in the walls of my home.

·
Golden Wirenut
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I would want conduit in my house so I could change or add things easier in the future. It gives you a mechanical ground and yes I know romex has a bare grounding wire. It allows you to share a neutral between a network of wires, giving you more wiring options. It takes a lot more skill to run conduit versus romex. It looks better. Its kind of disappointing that so many people here are opposed to using conduit. A Chicago electrician who has never run romex can pipe, pull, and trim a house just as someone using romex. Its just the rule around here to only use pipe, i'm sure if I was from anywhere els I would be using romex, I used it in the Navy all the time.

·
Golden Wirenut
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yeah NM is always just bursting into flames spontaneously. :laughing:

In this area cable is king, be it NM, MC or AC.

This should give you a heart attack. :laughing:

Those pictures are of a 80,000 sq ft supermarket in CT, it was done maybe 8 years ago.
It doesn't give me a heart attack, it just looks unprofessional. Its a race to the bottom and you won with your rope supermarket.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
It gives you a mechanical ground and yes I know romex has a bare grounding wire.
Only gives a ground if A) it is metal conduit, B)you use fittings listed for the purpose of grounding, C)They don't sell those around here.

It allows you to share a neutral between a network of wires, giving you more wiring options. It takes a lot more skill to run conduit versus romex.
Granted, yes
It looks better.
We use sheetrock on the walls, can't see it anyways. unless run surface. :blink:

Its kind of disappointing that so many people here are opposed to using conduit. A Chicago electrician who has never run romex can pipe, pull, and trim a house just as someone using romex. Its just the rule around here to only use pipe, i'm sure if I was from anywhere els I would be using romex, I used it in the Navy all the time.
Well thank you for your service to your country.:notworthy::thumbsup:

Oh and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
7,525 Posts
I would want conduit in my house so I could change or add things easier in the future.
I / we can move change things in the future very easy with cable, we are used to it. Just like you are used to pipe.

It gives you a mechanical ground and yes I know romex has a bare grounding wire.
Most peole flip out about using the conduit or tubing as the EGC, personally I have no issue with it.

It allows you to share a neutral between a network of wires, giving you more wiring options.
I do that with cable all the time, 12/2, 12/3, 124 etc. I like using multiwire branch circuits.

It takes a lot more skill to run conduit versus romex.
It takes a different skill, you will not learn how to fish cables in finished buildings any faster then you learn to install pipe.

It looks better.
And that is why we should run pipe?

Is that not up to the person paying the bill?

Its kind of disappointing that so many people here are opposed to using conduit.
I will feel fine using whatever product the customer wants to pay for and is code compliant.

A Chicago electrician who has never run romex can pipe, pull, and trim a house just as someone using romex.
Obviously the homes are getting done but do not pretend it does not cost the homeowner more.:)

Its just the rule around here to only use pipe,
Yeah it is a great make work rule. :laughing:

It doesn't give me a heart attack, it just looks unprofessional. Its a race to the bottom and you won with your rope supermarket.
Well I have wired one Supermarket this size in NM but it did not look like this one in the picture. The one in the picture was done by a direct competitor of ours.

Most of our customers are now specifying MC cable in place of NM since some code changes made it more difficult to run NM.

·
Generator Sales
71 Posts
I would want conduit in my house so I could change or add things easier in the future. It gives you a mechanical ground and yes I know romex has a bare grounding wire. It allows you to share a neutral between a network of wires, giving you more wiring options. It takes a lot more skill to run conduit versus romex. It looks better. Its kind of disappointing that so many people here are opposed to using conduit. A Chicago electrician who has never run romex can pipe, pull, and trim a house just as someone using romex. Its just the rule around here to only use pipe, i'm sure if I was from anywhere els I would be using romex, I used it in the Navy all the time.
I'm a pipe man from way back. I know no other way. I agree with most of what you say except specifically it "takes a lot more skill" to run conduit versus romex. I worked in California for a number of years and found that in relation to pipe, I could go to work brain dead and give a good days work. A profitable days work.

I honed my pipe bending skills over many years. I can run it in my sleep. Any size or texture. I said all that to say this: I can't imagine showing up for work without all my reasoning skills and trying to accomplish, without error, what is shown in the previous photos. Especially where walls get closed up.

You can always go back and pull another wire in pipe. Try that in a finished room with romex. It needs to be done right the first time and ample, professional and diligent thought must be given. I take my hat off to the rope stringers. I do not envy them.

I now return you to your normal broadcast until the next pipe/romex debate :laughing:

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
Peter d... Calling peter d

I was looking it up because it is a good video on the benefits of conduit. The romex starts on fire and releases toxic fumes so :jester::laughing: to you.
Yo Pete.. your missing a fine moment here to get that chainsaw maniac out of retirement :laughing:

·
Golden Wirenut
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
what the heck were you using romex for in the navy ?

btw, did you know chicago now has the nation's worst heroin problem ?
http://cbs2chicago.com/local/chicago.heroin.problem.2.1776815.html
Yes I know that, it's sad drugs are bad. I was never on a ship, I was a Navy construction worker. We built temporary housing for fleet hospital 8 in Rota Spain. The huts were made out of wood and we roped them all. I see the argument everyone is making, there have been countless times I was piping a condo and thought, this would be so much easier in romex and it would be done in half the time. I respect all people in the trade and there methods pipe or rope. can we please move on, i'm just a new person to the site.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
take it easy, I'm not ranking on you. I was just curious - never seen romex on any bases (never did any housing though).

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
The problem I see is these dopes from chicago think their way is better and look down on others. It's just different not any better, just different.

·
Golden Wirenut
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The problem I see is these dopes from chicago think there was is better and like to look down on others. It's just different not any better, just different.
I know what you mean. There are a lot of arrogant people in my local. I didn't mean to be like that. In fact when I was in First year apprentice school I was shocked at how much anti-romex propaganda I was exposed to. Seriously I would just mention how I used romex and teachers would be super pissed. Its the first time in my life I have heard people defending doing more work. Big change from the Navy's Work smarter not harder attitude.

·
Waaambulance Driver
629 Posts
Welcome SeaBee. Your local does have some characters. Met a bunch of them at a campground a few years back. Hooked them up with some baseball tickets to see the Orioles and Whitesoxs.

Charlie

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,054 Posts
Howdy, Seabee. I'm a newby and a pipe-man myself. :thumbup: I'd don't see a reason to pipe a house, but seeing those pictures of that supermarket make me a little woozy.

Did you get your electrical training in the Navy? I've worked with some electricians from the Navy and Airforce and bar-none those guys were some of the best troubleshooters I've ever met. I don't know what's so different about what they teach ya'll but it works.

-John

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I know what you mean. There are a lot of arrogant people in my local. I didn't mean to be like that. In fact when I was in First year apprentice school I was shocked at how much anti-romex propaganda I was exposed to. Seriously I would just mention how I used romex and teachers would be super pissed. Its the first time in my life I have heard people defending doing more work. Big change from the Navy's Work smarter not harder attitude.
These "romex guys" just don't get us "pipe guys", or should I say Stanley Cup Champs!!!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts