Electrician Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Scott and I live in Fort Wayne, IN. Currently I attend Ivy Tech and trying to make a break into the electrical field. I have been a transmission builder for the last 9 years and have seen my benefits dwindle to nothing and no increases in wages. So I applied to the union and praying that I get in. I have already taken the aptitude test and got a letter stating that I passed and now just waiting for the interview. I have some basic electrical knowledge but by no means am I considered an "electrician". I am currently working full time and attending school full time. I really want to pursue a career as an electrician. All advice and comments greatly appreciated. I look forward to learning from you guys.

·
Super Moderator
21,913 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Reactions: newbi

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
Hi, my name is Scott and I live in Fort Wayne, IN. Currently I attend Ivy Tech and trying to make a break into the electrical field. I have been a transmission builder for the last 9 years and have seen my benefits dwindle to nothing and no increases in wages. So I applied to the union and praying that I get in. I have already taken the aptitude test and got a letter stating that I passed and now just waiting for the interview. I have some basic electrical knowledge but by no means am I considered an "electrician". I am currently working full time and attending school full time. I really want to pursue a career as an electrician. All advice and comments greatly appreciated. I look forward to learning from you guys.
Welcome to the forum you will learn a lot here.:thumbup::thumbup:
Read everything you can about the electrical trade and work as hard as you can in school..

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum you will learn a lot here.:thumbup::thumbup:
Read everything you can about the electrical trade and work as hard as you can in school..
I try hard in school, just got all A's.:) However, I feel like the training there is really lacking. For instance, in the " Basic Electricity 113 " class we never got past DC circuits nor got to use a meter. We were supposed to be tested on AC theory such as series/parallel RCL circuits but the dean dropped all of that stuff since we never covered it. I am taking the next class up which is " Electrical Circuits 204 " to try and learn the stuff that we missed out on. Hopefully we actually get some hands on this time.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
I try hard in school, just got all A's.:) However, I feel like the training there is really lacking. For instance, in the " Basic Electricity 113 " class we never got past DC circuits nor got to use a meter. We were supposed to be tested on AC theory such as series/parallel RCL circuits but the dean dropped all of that stuff since we never covered it. I am taking the next class up which is " Electrical Circuits 204 " to try and learn the stuff that we missed out on. Hopefully we actually get some hands on this time.

Is there a way you can transfer to another better school?

Here is some info that might help..http://www.electricalagent.com/Schools.aspx?ssState=16

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that info. I was reassured by the instructor for my next electrical class that he will get me up to speed on the things the previous instructor missed. He is also the dean of that program and also informed me that the program is accredited through ATMAE which provides weight to the degree. I'm hoping I can get into the union as they provide schooling, hands on training, and wages while learning which seems to be the best option to me. Thank you for your replies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts