Electrician Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's everyone doing.

I'd like to say I have 9 years in the electrical field, but sadly only 2 years as an industrial electrician which I am currently employed as.

I work along side 5 other electricians in 2 person teams. Lucky for me my partner is the shop guru and is state licensed. I soak up everything he has to offer without any lip. :thumbup:

Joined the forum in hope I could expand my know-how.

Just this week they told us it's an OSHA requirement to have an arc flash suit on when a panel is off with any 3 phase. Has this been something that's been around for a while and just never trickled down to us?

·
Registered
439 Posts
depends, i work commercial and mostly all panels are 120/208, the only thing that is at least 600v is the MDP which goes to the gear. SO no flash suit is required, but anything is a possibilty with electricity.

you work with mostly 480. so if a flash suit is recommended, i would wear it, just because it is for your safety. soak up everything he has to offer, it may save your life one day.

but we do wear a suit on the gear

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we work it all 120/208 and 277/480, on rare occasions we have some 4160 water pump motors we work on (stress the rarity)

we also have the contract to maintain an airport and it's runway lighting. The strobe lights have transformer boxes on each individual light that run on 2200 volts and hardly any amps at all. Flightlight is the manufactuer

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Been around for awhile

How's everyone doing.

I'd like to say I have 9 years in the electrical field, but sadly only 2 years as an industrial electrician which I am currently employed as.

I work along side 5 other electricians in 2 person teams. Lucky for me my partner is the shop guru and is state licensed. I soak up everything he has to offer without any lip. :thumbup:

Joined the forum in hope I could expand my know-how.

Just this week they told us it's an OSHA requirement to have an arc flash suit on when a panel is off with any 3 phase. Has this been something that's been around for a while and just never trickled down to us?
Not sure how long it has been around but it is a requirement for my company as well. It comes primarily from NFPA70E... the safety cousin if you will to the National Electric Code.

It actually has a chart inside that tells you what PPE Personal Protective Equipment you must wear under any given circumstance.

There will come a time (drum roll please as I am about to make a prediction) when each panel will have an arc flash sticker on it with the Level of PPE required to open panel. Have been involved in providing these stickers to two plants panels.

It's funny but OSHA is not on board with these PPE level "stickers".

Anyway, take this stuff seriously because some people have lost their jobs over simply opening a panel. Others have lost alot more.

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Professional Nit Picker
2,322 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Jump right in and question us and answer questions also

Now I'm curious should you answer your own questions ......................

1 - 9 of 9 Posts