Electrician Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, im from San Mateo CA. Last December I started the process of becoming an Inside Wireman (apprenticeship) through an Local 617.I filled out the application, took a math and english proficency exam and most recently got scheduled for an interview.

My interview is on the 22nd of this month.
I got my resume and recommendation letters all set up but any information about what questions they tend to ask is quite helpful. I heard their typically open ended like 'tell us about a time you implemented something and what was the result'. I also heard there were about 5 questions. Any other information you guys may have would be very helpful.

Also, on the letter with my interview date it mentions a 'practical exam'.
I googled it but couldn't find a definetive answer to what exactly its about. One of my co-workers told me he had a friend who applied and the test consisted of mechanical skills like proprely drilling screws, carrying a bucket up a ladder, moving some pipes from one area to another and choosing which shovel to use for a pile of sand. Any idea if this is accurate and any tips.

Thanks

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
Hey everyone, im from San Mateo CA. Last December I started the process of becoming an Inside Wireman (apprenticeship) through an Local 617.I filled out the application, took a math and english proficency exam and most recently got scheduled for an interview.

I got my resume and recommendation letters all set up but any information about what questions they tend to ask is quite helpful. I heard their typically open ended like 'tell us about a time you implemented something and what was the result'. I also heard there were about 5 questions. Any other information you guys may have would be very helpful.

I googled it but couldn't find a definetive answer to what exactly its about. One of my co-workers told me he had a friend who applied and the test consisted of mechanical skills like proprely drilling screws, carrying a bucket up a ladder, moving some pipes from one area to another and choosing which shovel to use for a pile of sand. Any idea if this is accurate and any tips.

Thanks
In my state the term 'practical exam' mean Hands on experience so they mat ask you to identify different types of boxes and fittings for example.

Good luck on your test and Welcome aboard........:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
criv said:

Thanks
I'm San Mateo 617. Good luck on you're interview. And hope you scored high on that test.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Haven't heard of the practical test, yet. Just interviewed w 369 Louisville. You are right, there are ~7 situational questions, so start thinking about your past so that when they ask, you can form a sensible answer. What is your biggest task, when did you disagree w a coworker, what project have you taken on at work, and foremost why do you want to be an electrician? Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts