Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm currently an MK in the Coast Guard and looking at starting an apprenticeship when I get out in a little over a year. I'll throw in the only questions I have, what is the timeline from test to "hired" and will the local even let me take a test or interview while I am still enlisted with a few months until the end of my enlistment? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
13,398 Posts
Prrnrngr said:
Hey guys. I'm currently an MK in the Coast Guard and looking at starting an apprenticeship when I get out in a little over a year. I'll throw in the only questions I have, what is the timeline from test to "hired" and will the local even let me take a test or interview while I am still enlisted with a few months until the end of my enlistment? Thanks in advance!
Let us non CG types know what a MK is and welcome.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whoops sorry about that. Yes, Machinery Technician. In my current billet I'm a basic diesel mechanic/boat maintainer/first responder/boat crewman/LE officer. We deal with basic electrical theory in A school, but the Electricians Mates usually frown on us doing any type of wiring on the job. Yes, I do Realize EM would have been a more appropriate Rate(mos) for a wanna be electrician when my time is done. :(

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
Welcome!

Hope you find an apprenticeship when you get out!

Pete

Reactions: Prrnrngr

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Welcome aboard and thank you for your service...:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
13,020 Posts
Whereabouts on the coast are you? Local 932 runs from the California border up to the Lincoln/Tillamook County line. Local 48 goes from there up to the Columbia.

Local 932 is based in Coos Bay but we have a satellite classroom in Newport (I'm the instructor there). There's a very big job on the semi-distant horizon in the Coos Bay area so if you get applications in soon after you bust out there's a good chance you'd be hired pretty quick. I got in the program in late 2005. I'd say between when I first sent in an application, it was about a month until I walked onto my first jobsite. Other guys have sat around for several months before they got hired on.

·
13,020 Posts
Whoops sorry about that. Yes, Machinery Technician. In my current billet I'm a basic diesel mechanic/boat maintainer/first responder/boat crewman/LE officer. We deal with basic electrical theory in A school, but the Electricians Mates usually frown on us doing any type of wiring on the job. Yes, I do Realize EM would have been a more appropriate Rate(mos) for a wanna be electrician when my time is done. :(
Don't worry about your experience. Simply having mechanical aptitude and a reasonable comfort level with tools will be a huge leg up for the interview and background info. Make sure you put that on your application.

I didn't know a thing about electricity prior to the apprenticeship, but I worked construction for a while before that and it helped.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Don't worry about your experience. Simply having mechanical aptitude and a reasonable comfort level with tools will be a huge leg up for the interview and background info. Make sure you put that on your application.

I didn't know a thing about electricity prior to the apprenticeship, but I worked construction for a while before that and it helped.
Thanks for the glimmer of hope Eric! I'm stationed in Tillamook. In terms of location, the CG has to move me the distance back home (LA) so if something came up in Oregon a move wouldn't be an issue. I couldn't find any info on any apprenticeship application opportunities for 932 when I checked last week. Yeah, I have heard about the NG terminal(if not ng lp) they are planning down there from our OINC. He said something like 5-10 years of development?

·
13,020 Posts
Thanks for the glimmer of hope Eric! I'm stationed in Tillamook. In terms of location, the CG has to move me the distance back home (LA) so if something came up in Oregon a move wouldn't be an issue. I couldn't find any info on any apprenticeship application opportunities for 932 when I checked last week. Yeah, I have heard about the NG terminal(if not ng lp) they are planning down there from our OINC. He said something like 5-10 years of development?
Local 932's apprenticeship program is called Pacific Inside Electrical JATC. We're really small so we don't have a website or anything, but I assure you we're there :laughing: If you give the office a call sometime you can talk to Darlene or Judy and inquire about the application process and application times & dates.

The number is (541)756-6997

Yeah the LNG terminal is a $7.5 billion project and will employ hundreds of electricians for several years, from what I hear. Here's their website:

http://www.jordancoveenergy.com/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for answering my questions Eric. The phone number and knowing what JATC 932 goes through will be a huge help in figuring out a timeline. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi shipmate. Dont worry about the MK thing, you will do great on the aptitude tests im sure, for the local. I am an EM3 on the CGC Aspen here in San Fran, and in exactly 10 months i am going to be moving back to the pacific northwest myself, possibly portland but more then likely seattle and will be seperating from active duty and may be joining active reserves depending on what opportunities i can grab onto.

seattle has a program called VICE, veterans in construction electric, that seems to be an excellent resource and opportunity for us vets. I had emailed them and gotten some literature from one of the ladies that works in the office. If you are within 6 months of seperation, or have recently seperated, you apply, take an aptitude test, and should be able to start a 12 week school on electrical theory, schematics, conduit bending, and some math. not sure how it works with being accepted into the local but ive heard of some people getting right to work with the local union.

If anyone from the local 46 in seattle that has been through the VICE program can chime in, we would very much appreciate it.

I plan to apply for this awesome opportunity as well as apply with several power companies including bonneville in portland. anyways, not sure if you are planning on staying in tillamook or if you are open to moving but i figured id let you know about the VICE program. good luck with everything and if you can beg your command to let you go to any C-schools this year on electrical theory, you definitely should! take care

chris

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks for the lead Chris. I'm open to anywhere on the West Coast as far as location. I have longer than 12 months still, so I haven't even contacted any unions. I was looking at c schools since I am ineligible for TA due to having a bachelors. Issue is being at a surf station the 47's and their maintenance take priority over everything..we also have DC2 for civil eng. I might just bite the bullet and pay out of pocket for some electrical theory classes at the local CC.

Random Coastie question, do you know if we can sign just a 1 year ready reserve contract at the end of our enlistment? I really don't like :thumbdown: active duty life, but want to see if the reserves are the happy medium to keep serving. Btw, I think Blada from my boot camp company is on the Aspen, or was at least.

George

1 - 14 of 14 Posts