Electrician Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new here, I've been working for an electrician since I was 16 (i'm now 17 and in my senior year of HS).

I've only worked in the field for 3 weeks so far, but i've been working in the shop part time since then. I knew alot about electric before I got the job with them, I basically read tons and tons about electric before ever attempting to do any electrical work.
So my question is: How long will it take me to get an electrical license in NYC?
I know that it takes roughly 12-15 years to get your license if working in the field with no schooling.:blink:

How long will it take to get my license if I get a degree in electrical engineering in my first 4 years of college?
I've heard that an additional 3-1/2 yrs working in the field after that and you can go for your test, is this true?:001_huh:

Thanks in advance,
Steve

btw, nice site here... hope to learn alot:thumbup:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hey Steve. Im in the same boat as you, but I'm older. In NYC you need 7 and a half years working for a licensed electrician. If you go to college and get an EE MASTERS degree, it gets cut down to 2 and a half yrs. If you get an EE BACHELORS, 3 and a half years. You can also do vocational school. APEX, Berk and a few others offer classes. Check out the link below, starting on page 7. Has all the requirements for a NYC license. I got 5 years on the books so far...2 and a half more to go. Who you workin for around here anyway?

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/downloads/pdf/admin_sec_2007_elec_code.pdf

·
Registered
287 Posts
Also, if anyone has any more info to share on a NYC License, I'd love to hear it. If I knew better when I was 17/18 years old, I would have gone for a Bachelors in EE instead of my business bachelors degree. Sucks.

·
child please.....
5,311 Posts
Also, if anyone has any more info to share on a NYC License, I'd love to hear it. If I knew better when I was 17/18 years old, I would have gone for a Bachelors in EE instead of my business bachelors degree. Sucks.
Haha. Thats the same exact thing I said. I got a bachelors in Business adm. , and I regret it. I should have gone for EE. If you are one of those school types like me, you will have no prob. passing the test.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Haha. Thats the same exact thing I said. I got a bachelors in Business adm. , and I regret it. I should have gone for EE. If you are one of those school types like me, you will have no prob. passing the test.
the worst thing is, when i went to college, i knew I wanted to be an Electrician too. Just had NO idea at all that getting a degree in EE would help me get licensed a lot faster. I took business courses sicne I want to own my business.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Steve. Im in the same boat as you, but I'm older. In NYC you need 7 and a half years working for a licensed electrician. If you go to college and get an EE MASTERS degree, it gets cut down to 2 and a half yrs. If you get an EE BACHELORS, 3 and a half years. You can also do vocational school. APEX, Berk and a few others offer classes. Check out the link below, starting on page 7. Has all the requirements for a NYC license. I got 5 years on the books so far...2 and a half more to go. Who you workin for around here anyway?

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/downloads/pdf/admin_sec_2007_elec_code.pdf
I work for vanguard, but i've been in the shop mostly, hav'nt been in the field for months due to school.

Who do you work for?

·
Registered
3 Posts
What's going on guys, I am a local 3 ibew journeyman have been i'n the trade around 10 years, I'm actually going through the NYC licensing program right now and just passed the written exam, and this years exam was basically based on the NEC code rather than electrical theory and equations. The theory study is a great part but I strongly believe that without field experience I would have never passed this exam. Currently waiting on a date to take the practical portion of the exam , the entire process is basically like selling your soul to the devil. 7.5 years under a licensed electrician, patience and good study habits is all you need.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts