Electrician Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well since Im retired ive gotten into a new hobby! and it mixes well with me being in the fire department and still makes use of past experience

Ham radio!

building the equipment is fun and i get to stink up the house with the smell of solder rosin and burned resisters(much to the wifes dismay):vs_mad::vs_laugh:gotta build a fume extractor :vs_shake:

not that i'd burn them by mistake:devil3:

seriously the local ham club president is also the 911 coordinator and they are going to help me get started and get the testing for the licenses.

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
It's a lot easier to get the license now, you don't have to learn morse code anymore. I hated that part.

I used to be into it for a couple years when I was young, but then I started getting closer to driving age and spent the money on car audio instead.

Amateur radio is still pretty interesting, but it just doesn't have the same fascination as it did since we now have so much power in the tiny phones we carry around with us.

The radio from Die Hard is what started my interest in it.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
6,758 Posts

·
Registered
6,758 Posts

·
Bootlegger
4,380 Posts
I am at a loss for words.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
31,618 Posts
10-4 Backdoor. Put the pedal to the metal and let er roar. Hammer down to Macon town , gonna see my mama there for shore.

Wait, That was CB not Ham..................

Canadians weren't allowed to own those things in America.........

·
Bootlegger
4,380 Posts
A ham radio hobby would probably be a waste of time and money for you.

...just sayin. :biggrin:
So are hookers and blow, but they sound like much more fun.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same for me! Getting into it at age 53. Always fascinated with radio, and getting my Dad's old shortwave radio and picking up foreign stations at night. Waiting to take the technician test. Been on hold since COVID crap

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I was referring to transmitters, receivers, transceivers, amplifiers, transverters & power supplies. I put together a Heathkit 2 meter transceiver with the matching power supply & Micoder mic.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/heath_2_meter_fm_transceiver_hw.html

mic...

In the very early 70.s I could only get the USA Catalog and wait for 6 months for it to show up in the mail such a long time waiting when your only 10 at the time then a canadian catalog came out a few years later I spent hours drooling over the kits but no money to buy something

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
In the very early 70.s I could only get the USA Catalog and wait for 6 months for it to show up in the mail such a long time waiting when your only 10 at the time then a canadian catalog came out a few years later I spent hours drooling over the kits but no money to buy something
I know the feeling.

·
Dope-less Hope Fiend
electrician
646 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,612 Posts
A ham radio hobby would probably be a waste of time and money for you.

...just sayin. :biggrin:
I worked with a guy that had friends .in Suriname when the volcano exploded the place.
The infrastructure was gone.
The only reliable communication was via Ham radio operators.
These people are serious.
He would also facilitate overseas calls from military to their families.
WJ4TKa I think he was .Allen Strauss

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
building lots of small kits and have become the kitter for the Ozark Patrol short wave receiver.
it was easy to build and its pleasant to listen to the broadcasts from all over the world.

Reactions: batwing44

·
Registered
59 Posts
well since Im retired ive gotten into a new hobby! and it mixes well with me being in the fire department and still makes use of past experience

Ham radio!

building the equipment is fun and i get to stink up the house with the smell of solder rosin and burned resisters(much to the wifes dismay):vs_mad::vs_laugh:gotta build a fume extractor :vs_shake:

not that i'd burn them by mistake:devil3:

seriously the local ham club president is also the 911 coordinator and they are going to help me get started and get the testing for the licenses.
Have fun,
I have been into Amateur Radio since I was 19. Have recently (2 years ago) transferred out of our Facilities Maintenance Dept.(maintenance electricians group) to our Ground Radio Dept. A change in job groups I had been waiting about 21 years for. Even though I’ve been a ham over 30 years it has been a tough change but well worth it! It required a GROL ticket with radar endorsement. So many new things to learn, and at 50 it’s a lot harder than at 20. I don’t think I would ever go back, the work is physically easier and certainly more exercise on the brain. Now I watch my 20 year old nephew beginning his 3rd year apprenticeship and wax sentimentally. There certainly is a lot to keep you occupied, enjoy your retirement! 73

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts