Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start off by saying I'm not an electrician. I am however an EE, and installed a sub panel or two. I'm likely pushing a bit out of DIY territory here, so I'll try this thread here.

I'm a soon to be homeowner. I'm not terribly happy with the panel thats installed in the home, its an older CH CH, has some light corrosion, stripped screws holding the cover on, and its full. 200A service, I'm going to be putting a tankless electric water heater in that requires 3x 40A DP's. I intend to run that off a CH CH subpanel. 125A breaker off the main load center, into 1 AWG THHN to a 125A CHCH panel with the 3x 40A DP's for the water heater.

I intend to run 3x 1AWG copper (black) THHN from HD through metal conduit to the sub panel with a #6 ground and tape the neutral line white. Any problems here? Sub panel will be unbonded. I most likely will run 3 separate flexible conduit into the water heater with 3x8AWG copper. The water heater only has one small knockout on it, and you're somehow supposed to get 9 8 AWG wires into it. Does NEC allow 6 conductors + 3 grounds in one run of conduit?

Now, on to the thing I'd like to do, replace the panel. Is it worthwhile to call the power company and try to get them to pull the meter? I don't think snipping the tag is that big of a deal, so I could just go that route. If I call them, presumably they will most likely want to have an inspection performed? What would this inspection even consist of? Would it need to conform to NEC 2005 code thats used in NYS? The house currently does not. While I'm replacing the panel, I was considering just replacing every 15 and 20A breaker with a combo AFCI. Any problem with this? If I put a combo AFCI on the kitchen/bathroom outlets, do I still need a GFCI outlet? I would prefer to use the same outlets everywhere in the house, Leviton 5362-W for the 20's and 5262-W for the 15's. I understand it's considered a hassle at the very least to have to go to the basement to reset a breaker, but I prefer this over the GFCI outlets.

Any problems here? I'm open to suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,796 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. However, working with electricity and electrical systems can be unsafe if not done by a professional licensed electrician. The moderators of this site would like to advise you to contact a professional electrician in your area.

If you are permitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, please sign up at our sister site, www.DIYChatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.