Electrician Talk banner

New house 15 or 20 amp circuits???

76462 80
I am a JW and will be wiring my own home. Trying to figure out which way to go on receptacles and lights. 20 amp receptacle circuits or 15 amp. Which way would you go if this was your house. 15 amp sure is alot easier to trim out. I was thinking 15 amps for lights and 20 amp for receptacles keeping each receptacle circuit confined to each bedroom. I am not concerned with the cost for 20 amp. What is your opinion and thanks in advance.
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
15,886 Posts
I am a JW and will be wiring my own home. Trying to figure out which way to go on receptacles and lights. 20 amp receptacle circuits or 15 amp. Which way would you go if this was your house. 15 amp sure is alot easier to trim out. I was thinking 15 amps for lights and 20 amp for receptacles keeping each receptacle circuit confined to each bedroom. I am not concerned with the cost for 20 amp. What is your opinion and thanks in advance.

It's yours. Wire however you want. I personally, would wire it the same as any other house.

·
Modérateur
8,662 Posts

Humm.,, I think it will be wise for you get someone who they know the stuff there due there are few code related issue you will smack into pretty fast if not pay attetion to it.

I know you say it your own home but as I mention above there are few codes you have to know so it will be a good time to read the code book and review it.

Bon Chance with your home.

Merci,
Marc

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Id do 15 amp on lights, 1 20amp circuit for outlets per room. Keep lights and plugs separate.

Since its your house, you could have every outlet on its own breaker:laughing:

Being serious it never hurts to over do it, code is a minimum. Its there to protect and limit those who look for the cheapest design.

A D- is pacing in school but how far will that get you?

·
Retired Account
39,616 Posts
Assumimg you are referring to general use circuitry only, there are lots of trade offs to be had

for instance isolating all lighting to #14 conductor compliments box fill (as said), makes future diagnostics easier, and would ease retros to a genny sub panel & /or radio ra, etc

diversity in planning usually pays off imho

~CS~

PS, don't let the welcome wagon run you over .......

·
Registered
204 Posts
It is a lot in matter of choice.
Personally I like to use 20amp circuits through out.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,788 Posts
So this is the respect you give a journeyman. Did you ever think that he may not ever do residential work and is asking opinions. Perhaps he knows that 20 amp is not necessary for recep in bedrooms but wants other opinions.

Again I ask you guys to refrain from posting if all you have to offer is insults. It makes the forum look bad. Whatever mod allowed the thread it was their decision so let it go.

Reactions: funkking

·
Registered
973 Posts
My first response was ... well ... not suitable for prime time. Heck, an apprentice on the job his first day already has ideas about how things should be done ....

But I'll try to be nice.

Let's get the right answers by first asking the right questions. Your house ... how do YOU see the house?

Personally, for convenience' sake, I'm biased in favor of giving each room its' own circuit.Might not save wire, but sure makes troubleshooting and load diversity easier.

In general, I favor #12 wire, especially for the lights. If nothing else, it helps me tell the light boxes from the smoke alarm boxes. Alarms get the only #14 in the house.

Devices? Receptacles are of the 15-amp variety, except for the GFCI's. 20-amp GFCI's seem to have fewer quality issues. Switches are all at least 15-amp rated. Quality is 'commercial,' the lower-cost types with screw-down clamps/pressure plates - no back-stabs for me. Cover-plates are 'unbreakable nylon, and connectors are the expensive Wagos with the little levers.

I also like metal boxes with external connectors and mud plates.

Since I'm actually in the process of rewiring my own house, I'll also tell you I am partial to sub-panels. I have one for the kitchen, and one for the laundry/bath. If I ever add a garage, it will get a sub as well.

·
Registered
300 Posts
If it were my personal house all my receptacles would be in #12 even bedroom circuits. Only #14 would be for lights and smoke detectors and it would be 2 circuits but that's because my house is only 5 room (living, kitchen, 2 bed 1 bath) and 900sq ft. It would be over kill but I'd be doing it how I wanted it done and I could play around like that. However, if your wiring a house for someone else and to make a profit, I would use #14 where I could.

Since I'm actually in the process of rewiring my own house, I'll also tell you I am partial to sub-panels. I have one for the kitchen, and one for the laundry/bath. If I ever add a garage, it will get a sub as well.
That's very interesting. Just curious, why would you want/need a sub in your kitchen or laundry/bath? I can fully see why you would want one in the garage.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,788 Posts
That's very interesting. Just curious, why would you want/need a sub in your kitchen or laundry/bath? I can fully see why you would want one in the garage.
He is not saying he wants a sub panel in the kitchen and bath but he has a sub for both. Can't have a panel in the bath room.

A bit overkill but to each his own.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I have always thought/wondered...if it was my house would I pipe it so I could change whatever, whenever..maybe pvc? Waste of time? I had a few houses where we pvc'd the data stuff since it's changing faster over the years...

·
Registered
448 Posts
cultch said:
I have always thought/wondered...if it was my house would I pipe it so I could change whatever, whenever..maybe pvc? Waste of time? I had a few houses where we pvc'd the data stuff since it's changing faster over the years...
Sometimes I run ENT to home offices and media centers in case they decide to change stuff later. Pretty cheap and quick to run.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok so did I post in the wrong forum or something? Nothing but a bunch of smart a** comments. I am getting ready to build a house and will be doing the wiring to save money. After completing my apprentiship I have been employed by an industrial contractor for the past 15 years. I work with drives, plc's, controls, TG's, 480 volt and MV equipment and feeders. I rarely do residential work unless I am helping someone with a house they may be wiring.

My county I live in is on the 2008 code. I do know the code and which circuits need to be 20 amp-sm appl, laundry, bathroom and for 2008 arc fault in more than just the bedrooms. I only wanted an opinion as to what would you do if this was your house as for wire/circuit size. Is 20 amp wiring/breaker really safer for the lighting when that is connected to a 14/16 or smaller fixture wire? I was expecting professional responses as to why you would/would not do something. Apparently I was mistaken.

I have asked a few friends of mine who do this work and have had different opinions. I post to non electric forums all the time and I though well let me look up an electrician forum for this question. I googled and this site was the first to pop up. So I thought let me ask the question as they will definately be able to help me decide. My mistake.

On the industrial side I work with very professional people. We have many safety policies (NFPA 70E, lockout etc, hard hats, steel toed shoes) that we follow. I worked some commercial as an apprentice then went into industrial. Is this what the residential electrical side is like? A bunch of smart a** non safety, tennis shoes and shorts wearing to work a** holes. Moderators really you allow this.

Thank you to the ones who gave positive comments.

·
Jesus Scott
9,352 Posts
My first response was ... well ... not suitable for prime time. Heck, an apprentice on the job his first day already has ideas about how things should be done ....

But I'll try to be nice.

Let's get the right answers by first asking the right questions. Your house ... how do YOU see the house?

Personally, for convenience' sake, I'm biased in favor of giving each room its' own circuit.Might not save wire, but sure makes troubleshooting and load diversity easier.

In general, I favor #12 wire, especially for the lights. If nothing else, it helps me tell the light boxes from the smoke alarm boxes. Alarms get the only #14 in the house.

Devices? Receptacles are of the 15-amp variety, except for the GFCI's. 20-amp GFCI's seem to have fewer quality issues. Switches are all at least 15-amp rated. Quality is 'commercial,' the lower-cost types with screw-down clamps/pressure plates - no back-stabs for me. Cover-plates are 'unbreakable nylon, and connectors are the expensive Wagos with the little levers.

I also like metal boxes with external connectors and mud plates.

Hey, Op, shhh this is between us only, don't waste your time or money with the above. ;)

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,788 Posts
I used to run all 12 many years ago. I now do the recep. in 12 and the lighting in 14. Why? I don't know-- I guess because I had to add circuits to bedrooms where people wanted a heater or converted into a home office with huge copiers etc. It really isn't necessary but I never liked code minimum.

·
Premium Member
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,733 Posts
titanium, I understand your frustration, but let's ease up on the insults. Most of those guy were attempting to have fun. Problem is it can easily get out of hand. Your comments about resi work, safety, sneakers, etc, are way off topic and uncalled for. Resi work can be just as challenging as any other type of commercial work, and sometimes even more difficult when a client is hovering over you.

Anyway, no, we don't normally allow all that which is why it was removed. Please, if you have an issue with any posts just hit the report icon and we'll take care of it.

I consider threads like this no different than a normally resi guy coming on and asking about a motor control or VFD.

·
Retired Account
39,616 Posts
I used to run all 12 many years ago. I now do the recep. in 12 and the lighting in 14. Why? I don't know-- I guess because I had to add circuits to bedrooms where people wanted a heater or converted into a home office with huge copiers etc. It really isn't necessary but I never liked code minimum.
I do the same, for numerous reasons

One, Because i'm rather rural, i've been involved in lots of of grid &/or grid tie sybtems

I've been asked a number of times to wire them normally, with the option of taking the lighting directly off a low v system

wiring exclusive circuitry does have it's advantages....

~CS~

·
Bababoee
9,176 Posts
Its not a bad idea to do your outlets in 12 but not really neccassary in a new house.. THink about it.. what are you gonna plug into a bed room..? a lamp, tv maybe a stereo..? If its a new house you shouldnt really need portable space heaters.. if you do someone didnt size you heating correctly.

I think its more important that you have enough circuits in kitchen and such where your more apt to use heavier loads.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.