Electrician Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just replaced a main panel for a customer which was a GE. With a spiffy new lever bypass, they have a FPE sub and are too cheap to replace it. I have a inspection on Tuesday. Any tips? I hope the inspector says something so I can get the job. :thumbup:

·
Head Grunt
415 Posts
You can explain the dangers to people and some would rather risk it than spend the money. I had a customer this past fall that had a FPE 20 slot main panel in a mobile home of all places. The service call was for brown outs and water pump not working. I showed her the buss's were corroded, had a dead mouse laying at the bottom and it appeared that the mouse may have urinated on the busses/breakers. The water pump was 220v but some yahoo had put it on a 40amp breaker and the breaker was corroded and one side was starting to melt. I cleaned up the buss's the best i could, moved a couple light circuits around to free up 2 20amp breakers and wired the pump into them. When i was done i plugged the huge hole on the bottom where vermin were getting in. I gave the woman an estimate of only $400 to replace the panel with a Square-D Homeline 20 slot with breakers just to help her out so she wouldnt burn her home down and she declined. You can only explain so much to people, after that they are on their own. As the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink.

Reactions: guest
1 - 6 of 6 Posts