Electrician Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Have been 'listening in' here for a while after finding this site mentioned on some of the other electrical forums. Great website with many knowledgable members and a great source of information.
A little about me - I'm 55, married, two sons (one of which is a carpenter), recently retired from a city government job after 26 years and hoping to make a go at electrical contracting and service, mainly residential. Because I don't have a pension, only a little money in a 457 fund, 'retired' from the city job doesn't mean much and I intend (have to...) keep working.
After high school I attended a state voc tech school for close to year in the electrical trade department but was unable to finish because of a job offer from Uncle Sam. Anyone else here old enough to remember the draft ? Well turned down the original offer and spent four years in the USAF as an electronic tech (similar to electrical but a whole 'nuther field).
After that didn't do much in electrical or electronics for about 25 years until I began thinking about leaving the city job. Studied up on the current codes and methods, took the LLE test, and have been doing part time, mainly residential, work for about 5 years. I have done very little commercial work and have considered working for someone else for a while to get the experience, but, if I can make it on my own, I want to try. After working for others for so many years I'd really like to try being my own boss for a while.
Long intro, but hope the best for all here during these financially tough times. And thanks for the great forum.

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
31,141 Posts
Anyone else here old enough to remember the draft
Charlie, I am high school Class of 70 (55 years old now), number 135 in a year they took up too 126.

·
Semi-Retired
1,289 Posts
Hello everyone... Anyone else here old enough to remember the draft?... Well turned down the original offer and spent four years in the USAF as an electronic tech.
Hello Charlie and welcome!

Too young for the draft but I do remember clearly laying on the living room floor with my older brother looking at the 'lottery results'... seeing who we knew that was going to have a bad birthday present.

I've worked with two AF (and one Navy) trained techs. All were some of the best I've encountered.

Good luck in the business.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts