Electrician Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i am currently looking into training to become an electrician, i am 24 years old and after doing some travelling i have finally decided that this is the job i want to knuckle down with and get qualified.

My question is about the training as i have been speaking to a guy today who works for a company called The Skills Centre who are similar to th Open University but aimed towards the building industry. I wonder if anyone knows about this company and if it would be a good way to train or not? The theory is all home based with the assistance of a tutor on the phone or via email and the practical assesments are done in purpose built training centres. The cost of the course is around £6000 and they say you can be fully qualified within 2 years. I am skeptical about the whole thing but it is an option i feel i should consider given that i m now 24 and have no chance of an apprenticeship and cannot afford to give up my current job to train full time... although i may yet have to.

Any help or thoughts would be great.

Cheers :thumbsup:

·
53 GONE AT LAST!
690 Posts
Wecome

As far as the 'sceptical' feeling...go with your feelings! If you do a search around this group you will find various threads on these type of courses; but not this specific course

Find out what qualifications you will come out with
If they are recognised
Get names and contact details of some past students and contact them. Find out if they have got a job since doing the course AND if the course was relevant
What are future job opportunities / prospects

I don't want to be a portent of doom but I have never actually talked to anyone who has done one of these courses...obviously they must exist, but where?...I do not know

At your age I do not know which route are available to you

Sorry, but not what you wanted to hear

...just a thought, how about Shipyards at Barrow, Heysham, BT [Openreach]...but you have probably thought of those already

Best of luck:thumbsup:

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
Welcome to the forum first off. As for being too old there are guys in the apprenticeship classes at my local in their 40's. You may want to look further into apprenticeship.

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
Welcome! :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts