Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a little confused by a neat function on my new meter. You can test continuity and voltage simultaneously. Ive been putting it thru the paces at home before taking it to work.

I have been noticing the continuity alarm, neutral to ground, when testing some of the circuits in my house simultaneously for voltage.

What confuses me... or at least makes me worried I have a ground fault of somekind, is that its only doing it two of the circuits in my home.

Is this new function playing tricks with me or do I have something I need to troubleshoot?

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
Im a little confused by a neat function on my new meter. You can test continuity and voltage simultaneously. Ive been putting it thru the paces at home before taking it to work.

I have been noticing the continuity alarm, neutral to ground, when testing some of the circuits in my house simultaneously for voltage.

What confuses me... or at least makes me worried I have a ground fault of somekind, is that its only doing it two of the circuits in my home.

Is this new function playing tricks with me or do I have something I need to troubleshoot?
What is the name and model number of the meter so we can read about it's functions, and make sport of you of course:eek::laughing:

Just kidding..:)

·
Licensed Journeyman
5,880 Posts
Or burn it down. The functionality of this as it has been in my meters is if I check continuity on a live circuit it will alarm as if to say " hey stupid turn that dial a bit"

Your meter could indeed be different and you may need to rewire large portions of your house. Also dead circuits may have continuity.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
fluke 113

This ability to get the continuity alarm on a live circuit has me confused.

On some circuits I do not get the alarm until I close the circuit. One the two circuits in question I get the continuity alarm with power on and off but then its intermittent because at other times I am not getting the alarm with power on....

gremlins?
intermittent ground fault?
or operator error?

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Reactions: HARRY304E

·
Licensed Journeyman
5,880 Posts
None of the above. You don't seem to understand continuity as it relates to a circuit. Keep playing with it and see if you get the kinks worked out. Remember resistance is futile.

·
Registered
Electrician
4,476 Posts

Is this the function you are using?

Model 113 English Instruction Sheet
Page
W
V
CHEK
If a dc or ac voltage greater than about 3 V is present across the inputs
when the meter is set to
V
CHEK, the meter switches automatically to dc
or ac voltage mode and displays the voltage.
When
k
CHEK is activated, the meter has low input impedance (Lo
Z
)

3 k
Ω
. This load can alter the voltages in
electronic control circuits. Do
not use
k
CHEK to measure voltage in ci
rcuits that could be damaged by
a 3 k
Ω
load.
Note
k
CHEK can be effectively used to eliminate “ghost”
voltages.
AC and DC Voltage

If so, you need to read your manual again!

It's not for checking voltage and continuity at the same time. It's a feature that when checking continuity if there is voltage present (>3V) the meter switches to either DC or AC.
It's also a LoZ function to eliminate ghost voltage readings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.