Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I expanded offices found a place with over 1,000 squarefeet more for the same price, so time to wire up the new place! Will post as progress moves along.

It's about 1,500 squarefeet.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope space is ducted for return and delivery.

52 drops

You should of seen our last office was only 500 square feet. Two offices and a common area had 30 drops used every one of them.

This space consists of,

Workshop office (we build, repair, configure a lot of entertainment equipment, make DMX, XLR, BNC, lots of soldering, small component work, custom Electronics) - 10 drops

Editing room - 8 drops (bonded gig to the Mac Pro, IP phone, imac work station, 50" client preview HDMI baluns to TV, HDMI out of computer via HDMI baluns to matrix switcher in data closest)

My office - 12 drops

Common area - 22 drops (cubical space for common work area for editing, audio work, graphics, web development) a few iPhones copy machine, wifi, door access, 60" TV

The rack will consist of a matrix switcher, 4 DirectTV boxes, NAS storage, PoE gig switch, phone system, UPS and Mac mini server

Sent from my iPhone using electriciantalk.com

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I use ubiquiti products for quite a few clients. I run a edge router for our office but cisco meraki gave me a free wifi access point that we use. I love the meraki over Unifi. Unifi is great especially for the price. The cisco are expensive but since it was free I can't complain.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
It's going to be interesting when Ubiquiti launches their new version of the UniFi controller. It's supposed to control a lot of their other products centrally from one location.

It's funny though, they are advertising it on their website, but they haven't even released it for beta yet to my knowledge haha

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's my biggest issue with them is it seems everything is always in beta or on its way. The newest version of their controller was advertised as if it was released but was in beta for a year.

It's also fun when you show up to a site where either the controller is missing or doesn't have access or the client has no idea what you're talking about when you take over for some hack guy. Always fun when you have to setup a new controller.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
That's my biggest issue with them is it seems everything is always in beta or on its way. The newest version of their controller was advertised as if it was released but was in beta for a year.

It's also fun when you show up to a site where either the controller is missing or doesn't have access or the client has no idea what you're talking about when you take over for some hack guy. Always fun when you have to setup a new controller.

That last part is frustrating, but I'm sure good for the pocketbook. :p I wish they offered a cheap UniFi controller server.

I think that after this UniFi release everything might finally fall into some sort of organization. Still don't understand why they are acting like the newest version of UniFi is public haha

But overall I'm content with Ubiquiti, despite their occasional craziness.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Edrick said:
That's my biggest issue with them is it seems everything is always in beta or on its way. The newest version of their controller was advertised as if it was released but was in beta for a year. It's also fun when you show up to a site where either the controller is missing or doesn't have access or the client has no idea what you're talking about when you take over for some hack guy. Always fun when you have to setup a new controller. Sent from my iPhone using electriciantalk.com
I agree. After our first site having that issue, I just bought a Mac mini dedicated for this, charge a monthly connection fee per site, and run it all myself. Easy to do once you get your network set up for it. Just too many open ports for my liking so I set up a VLAN for it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.