Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,538 Posts
Looks good. I believe Cutler Hammer makes the guts to fit in any panel. Of course I bet it cost a lot more than what you paid for that install.

·
HTTR
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I works for me.

Was it worth the effort?

Plaster/drywall repair is pretty simple. Maybe an hour.
It was totally worth the effort
the existing panel was huge with cables in the top and bottom
even a 60 ckt panel wasn't tall enough to make work without recessing j boxes to slice the either the top or bottom home runs

inspection some time next week, wondering about possible violations with the splicing in the old can and jumping into the new panel via chase nipples

In the old panel each ckt had a disconnect and two fuses for each ckt. The hot and the neutral each went thru a fuse. (never seen that before)

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
inspection some time next week, wondering about possible violations with the splicing in the old can and jumping into the new panel via chase nipples
You never know who you will get to look at it. Someone may turn it down because it looks funny. If there is an issue, just ask them to cite the code section and you will probably be OK :thumbup:

·
Gold Member
312 Posts
Talk about thinking outside the box!
Or should I say inside.
I didn't like it, then saw finished product .
Looks great!
Not sure on inspection though,
Here approval for that use would bite ya probably.
I don't know about your guys, but the inspectors around here would probably go for it as long as it was a sub-panel.If it was the service panel I would either throw in a main disconnect somewhere else, or try to get some pipe extended into the new panel, and make that happen.

·
Gold Member
312 Posts
I'd like to see what somebody would fail that on. As long as the original can is still bonded somehow, I don't see the problem.
In Ontario (and the rest of Canada?)it might fail because we have to put the service d/c and conductors in a separate compartment. You guys don't have that little issue, so I can see how it would be totally fine.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Ontariojer said:
I don't know about your guys, but the inspectors around here would probably go for it as long as it was a sub-panel.If it was the service panel I would either throw in a main disconnect somewhere else, or try to get some pipe extended into the new panel, and make that happen.
I'm thinking my inspection would fail it because you have the alternative of changing the guts to cutler with new cover.
Not fact , just a feeling .

·
Registered
798 Posts
Well my Canadian Inspector hat is on and I would require a special inspection but I am not sure that could be labled. because you can purchase an approved insert panel I know there is a factory apporved panel insert. the main breaker cover is a problem but if you did this in Canada the service entry section would have come with it.
My issue is related to the main conductors not being sparated from the branch conductors and the lack of certification for a panel to be used in this manner.
It does pass the stink test in that other than the issues outlined it looks to be a reasonable approach to the problem

·
Can't Remember
11,077 Posts
You give Cutler Hammer the dimensions of the can, phases, voltages, circuits, etc and they build the solution for you, so I'm not sure if there is a part number. Choice of BR, CH and bolt on flavors too I believe.

·
Gold Member
312 Posts
You give Cutler Hammer the dimensions of the can, phases, voltages, circuits, etc and they build the solution for you, so I'm not sure if there is a part number. Choice of BR, CH and bolt on flavors too I believe.
That must be cheap:eek:

I was thinking there might be kits(specifically Canadian was what I was wondering about...)

·
Can't Remember
11,077 Posts
They are more expensive, but they do eliminate a bunch of drywall repairs. Or consider something set into block. I have done three in a Boys Club building. Eaton donated the material and I donated the labor. These were Trumbull set into block feeding lighting, etc. in their gymnasium. They take a little figuring to set the guts in so the covers fit, but once the layout is done, the rest goes quickly. If you were doing a bunch of apts, once the first couple are done, the rest will go quickly. Its a good product. Plan on some lead time. Not something for emergencies, better for preempting them.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.