Electrician Talk banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Tool Fetish
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I do not know what this means, could you educate me please? Thanks.
Rolling phases explained from Franklin Submersible Pump Manual. Luckily, this customer doesn't want any un-planned shutdowns. Everything we design or install is over sized and top quality. Most motors are out for rebuild, cycling every three years during the winter shutdown. Most motors also have at least one spare on the shelf. And yes, all of the equipment for the crushers is crusher duty.

Attachments

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,478 Posts
Usually it means if you have T1 on A, T2 on B, and T3 on C, you would move T1 to B, T2 to C, and T3 to A.
Basically “rolling” the phases around. Often times this will even out current imbalances due to motor winding mysteries because of “reasons”.

Sometimes you may have to roll them again one more time and then determine which of the three ways has the best current balance.
This^^^^^

It'll work with single motors as well.

If a motor has different currents, especially if it's a 'high strung' model, like a submersible well pump or a hermetically sealed compressor, rolling the phases will often result in better current balance.

The rotation is the same and even though it doesn't make any sense, it often works.

·
Bilge Rat
8,478 Posts
Rolling phases explained from Franklin Submersible Pump Manual. Luckily, this customer doesn't want any un-planned shutdowns. Everything we design or install is over sized and top quality. Most motors are out for rebuild, cycling every three years during the winter shutdown. Most motors also have at least one spare on the shelf. And yes, all of the equipment for the crushers is crusher duty.
I didn't know this PDF existed but it's exactly correct.

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
1,004 Posts
It is so nice to have a customer that understands and preforms maintenance. My experience is more on the order of, "What do you mean it broke, we just installed it 8 years ago."
So many large companies have gone to logistics groups who's motto's are "we can get anything in 48 hours so there is no reason to stock anything". Then critical processes fail and people have to go home while the logistics group wring their hands, "we had an agreement with so and so to provide said part"
Never understood them or the concept.

·
Bilge Rat
8,478 Posts
It is so nice to have a customer that understands and preforms maintenance. My experience is more on the order of, "What do you mean it broke, we just installed it 8 years ago."
So many large companies have gone to logistics groups who's motto's are "we can get anything in 48 hours so there is no reason to stock anything". Then critical processes fail and people have to go home while the logistics group wring their hands, "we had an agreement with so and so to provide said part"
Never understood them or the concept.
This is a classic difference between a person with actual experience and a college educated idiot.

The person with experience will want to keep critical parts on hand because they know better than to rely on outside sources.

The educated idiot has been trained to believe what the outside sources say and 'saves money' by reducing inventory.

Wonder which one will result in higher net profit..............

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
1,004 Posts
I believe it actually goes farther than that. Working for Eaton the mantra was " if you can not measure it, you can not manage it." Forced we guys in the field to be come data entry slugs.
It pissed me off so much I would stay on the job, in the parking lot if need be to finish the data fields before leaving or going to my room. ( not an overtime position ) In the beginning all they did was yell at us that our numbers were not in by Monday 10am, first delivery from FedEx to the corporate offices, fairly quickly they got to the idea of "productive hours". Evenings, weekends, and Holiday's hours did not count. You could get 8 maybe 10 hours a day M-F for productive time. The worker bees revolted, the creator was fired, the policy was revised but still not to what we needed. If I took my allotted vacation, and the holiday's given by Eaton I was less the ~80% productive. Which was in the subject to dismissal category.

Moving on from there, the mantra became, "just in time". Which was/is taught to the MBA's of the planet. It works ~60% of the time, IMO. Close enough for the office people as they were unaffected by the weather.

I have said that the people educated in logistics, and warehousing will be the death of the service industry. Special order has become primary when going to the parts store.

Saw a blurb on TV that said the California ports are way behind unloading container ships.
Toys for Christmas may be in short supply for this holiday season and maybe the next.

·
Registered
14,471 Posts
Cool, you guys build out the sea can MCC too?

I didn't know this PDF existed but it's exactly correct.
It wasn't really a PDF. I scanned one page out of an 80 page Franklin Pump manual that came with a 200 HP submersible pump about 10 years ago.
The Franklin AIM book is on their website now. We used to get it in binders from our Franklin distributor, probably the best bible for submersible well motors.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts