Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Family member had a few estimates from EC's who said they are willing to do a service change without pulling a permit.... no inspection.

Does that constitute hackery? Is this a bad idea? Please enlighten us....

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
Service changes and permanent generator installations are the only two things that I almost always demand to pull a permit for. I'd make exceptions in very few situations.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Family member had a few estimates from EC's who said they are willing to do a service change without pulling a permit.... no inspection.

It is not so much hackery as it is greedy. A permit an inspection if required protects your interests if the work is not up to par an inspector will hopefully catch it. If the installation causes damage to your home and no inspection is on file your insurance company could use that to not pay a claim. You are probably getting charged for a permit just the EC is going to pocket the cash. Here a permit for a service is only $50.00 so no great savings on not doing one.

·
Registered
189 Posts

I'm not sure if that is hackery,but it definitely is "bravery".

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Like Hackwork pointed to... a standby generator and service upgrade are the two "big one's" when it comes to permits and inspections. There'll be a problem when the HO goes to sell the house and they could "rat out" the EC at that time too. Also, if a potential customer specifically asks me not to get a permit it's a red flag IMO.

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
It is not so much hackery as it is greedy. A permit an inspection if required protects your interests if the work is not up to par an inspector will hopefully catch it. If the installation causes damage to your home and no inspection is on file your insurance company could use that to not pay a claim. You are probably getting charged for a permit just the EC is going to pocket the cash. Here a permit for a service is only $50.00 so no great savings on not doing one.
Unfortunately, the inspection process is usually a waste of time. The electrician (if licensed and insured) should always know how to work within the code, often times exceeding the code. Half of the EI's here in NJ are clueless, especially renovation work.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There'll be a problem when the HO goes to sell the house and they could "rat out" the EC at that time too. Also, if a potential customer specifically asks me not to get a permit it's a red flag IMO.
Please elaborate.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts

How many of you are wanting to know?

FWIW, in Ohio, legally a permit would be required.

Do they get done without a permit...:yes:

Are they always hacked in.... :no:

Pete

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How many of you are wanting to know?

Pete
My uncle and I. He is the one shopping around. He asks me questions since I am in the trade but I don't know that aspect of it one bit and I am still unclear from the replies so far.

Thanks though.
marcus

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
The odds are that he will get a better job if it's permitted.

I have seen good unpermitted changes and I've seen bad permitted changes.

Permitted or not, all my changes have been good :thumbup:

Well.....maybe not the first one in 1975 where I left questionable reconnections on the advice from my boss :jester:

·
Registered
144 Posts
I personally don't understand why a licensed contractor would make the offer. In most states getting caught is grounds for revoking your license.

Personally I worked too hard to get mine, and it is too financially valuable to put at risk for something like not pulling a $50 permit.

So, I avoid contractors who offer to work without pulling permits.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts

I'll give you an honest answer as an EC that's dealt with all factions , however you may not be liking it....

I'll come and tell you what you want to hear, do your job, collect my $$$, pull a permit on line at the end of the day, and claim it was a 'on the spot, need it now' job if i take any sh*t for it, and tell you to cry me a river when the state finally shows up

Done this multiple times , ears are always ringin! :thumbsup:

~CS~

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
What occurs if a homeowner was caught having an ec install a service without a permit?

Would the homeowner (I guess ec for that matter too?) be covered if they said 'hey, the riser or mast was damaged in the wind... this was a repair/replacement of an existing component.... back off. ' Something to that effect if you know what I am getting at.

Bottom line-- Is the homeowner risking be sued or being without power here?

·
Registered
144 Posts
In most jurisdictions the HO would be in minor trouble.

In most jurisdiction the contractor I subject to fines and revocation of their license.

Professionals are licensed in order to protect life and property. The codes are written for the same purpose.

Some jurisdictions are more stringent than others. In California if you do work without a license or required permits the owner is under no obligation to pay you, and you have no legal recourse. And there are people who abuse that fact.

There was a lawyer in the Los Angeles area who was hiring guys off Craig's List and then refusing to pay them. He was recently disbarred for unethical behavior.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts