Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just need some advice. I’m not an electrician, but I have a concern with my breaker box.

I just bought my first house and we needed to get a new dryer. I noticed the dryer was hardwired into the breaker box. So I decide to get the proper outlet and supplies. Before doing so I researched and looked for proper set up. (4 plug over 3, cables and so on). I stopped when I looked for my breaker neutral and ground bars.

My breaker has the two ground/neutral bars. (Breaker: Eaton 125 max, 100 amp, 20 space and with spaces used up). They can be assigned neutral/ ground. My concern is: The bar on the right is ground to the water pipe and to the outside ground. The bar on the left has no grounding at all. With all spaces being used, the bar on the left is being use as a ground/neutral, but it’s not grounded. The bar on the right is grounded twice.

Added to this, there is a 25 amp 2 pole only sitting on only one bus. It is on the bottom of the panel, so the other half is not connected. This is connected to the central air unit.

So.....How bad is this?
What would be the best route in this? DIY (if easy) or get the professionals.

I have assisted with electrical in the past, so i am not completely clueless. Its also the reason why i stopped and ask for your insight and help.

Thanks,

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
Hi, I just need some advice. I’m not an electrician, but I have a concern with my breaker box.

I just bought my first house and we needed to get a new dryer. I noticed the dryer was hardwired into the breaker box. So I decide to get the proper outlet and supplies. Before doing so I researched and looked for proper set up. (4 plug over 3, cables and so on). I stopped when I looked for my breaker neutral and ground bars.

My breaker has the two ground/neutral bars. (Breaker: Eaton 125 max, 100 amp, 20 space and with spaces used up). They can be assigned neutral/ ground. My concern is: The bar on the right is ground to the water pipe and to the outside ground. The bar on the left has no grounding at all. With all spaces being used, the bar on the left is being use as a ground/neutral, but it’s not grounded. The bar on the right is grounded twice.

Added to this, there is a 25 amp 2 pole only sitting on only one bus. It is on the bottom of the panel, so the other half is not connected. This is connected to the central air unit.

So.....How bad is this?

I have assisted with electrical in the past, so i am not completely clueless. Its also the reason why i stopped and ask for your insight and help.

Thanks,
Call an electrician.

·
Gold Pliers Champion
2,922 Posts

So.....How bad is this?

Thanks,
Same as above

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,794 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. However, working with electricity and electrical systems can be unsafe if not done by a professional licensed electrician. The moderators of this site would like to advise you to contact a professional electrician in your area.

If you are permitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, please sign up at our sister site, www.DIYChatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.