Electrician Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically, I am wondering what anyone/everyone did to overcome challenges as the new, inexperienced technician when they first started in the industry.

My background is that I started in a factory at the bottom, busted my butt to move up to an operator because I was bored of the mind-numbing repetition. Eventually, I had the interest in maintenance, made it known and worked hard to get into the position(which I hold today). But after getting the position with absolutely no experience, education or relevant training, I had a lot of people upset that I got the position. I worked and worked and tried to learn as much as I possibly could and tried to listen(even though they thought I didn't because I asked questions that challenged their theory). I've only been in maintenance now for 3 years and I am only 24, which, I think some guys I work with do not like, but I do everything I can to learn and to try to understand the machines and theory of WHY things perform the way they do, and I still continuously get picked on, degraded and doubted by the other shifts. The guys I work with everyday(on my shift)are extremely supportive and reassuring that I am good at what I do and not to change the way I am at all. On the other hand, the other shifts seem to push me in the other direction because I do not think they understand my passion for the career or they do not care about it anymore themselves.
I am reaching out to see where you all came from and to know what hardships you've overcome and how you did so. Any suggestions that you could give me to help me understand why these people can't just be mentors and teach someone who is more than willing to just learn and be the best they can at their job would be great!

Sorry for the long thread but wanted some input on my current situation and maybe have people reflect on their past and remember what it was like when they first started in the field. Did you know everything within 3 years of starting? I think many people tend to forget that. But if you did know everything please teach me! haha

Thank you for your time and opinions.

All is welcome.

·
fertilizer distrubuter
1,250 Posts
Basically, I am wondering what anyone/everyone did to overcome challenges as the new, inexperienced technician when they first started in the industry.

My background is that I started in a factory at the bottom, busted my butt to move up to an operator because I was bored of the mind-numbing repetition. Eventually, I had the interest in maintenance, made it known and worked hard to get into the position(which I hold today). But after getting the position with absolutely no experience, education or relevant training, I had a lot of people upset that I got the position. I worked and worked and tried to learn as much as I possibly could and tried to listen(even though they thought I didn't because I asked questions that challenged their theory). I've only been in maintenance now for 3 years and I am only 24, which, I think some guys I work with do not like, but I do everything I can to learn and to try to understand the machines and theory of WHY things perform the way they do, and I still continuously get picked on, degraded and doubted by the other shifts. The guys I work with everyday(on my shift)are extremely supportive and reassuring that I am good at what I do and not to change the way I am at all. On the other hand, the other shifts seem to push me in the other direction because I do not think they understand my passion for the career or they do not care about it anymore themselves.
I am reaching out to see where you all came from and to know what hardships you've overcome and how you did so. Any suggestions that you could give me to help me understand why these people can't just be mentors and teach someone who is more than willing to just learn and be the best they can at their job would be great!

Sorry for the long thread but wanted some input on my current situation and maybe have people reflect on their past and remember what it was like when they first started in the field. Did you know everything within 3 years of starting? I think many people tend to forget that. But if you did know everything please teach me! haha

Thank you for your time and opinions.

All is welcome.
Are you an electrician or a maintenence man? If you are a maintenence man you should pm ponyboy he knows a lot about being a maintenence man.
I assume your coworkers are teaching you as if you were an apprentice?
You should go seek formal schooling it will make you more valuable and more safe. Take the Nfpa 72 class as well. Your work will most likely pay for your school.

·
415 Posts
Old timers are gonna resent you cause you're young, losers and slackers are gonna resent you cause you're making them look bad, try to be as diplomatic as possible while making your career. If your in the the right job you'll never stop learning, new technologies will come through the door and you'll have to learn, install and maintain it all. I would also recommend formal education in addition to OJT. Good luck!

·
Registered
12,376 Posts
I came from a similar place, I did go to school thou. What I did is get better than everyone else. Better informed, better troubleshooter, better at reading prints and manuals. I didn't give a rats ass what they said or did. I shut them out like they shut me out. And when new people came into the department, I shared my knowledge freely with them, treated them well. And never looked back. Being in my fifties now, most of those guys are dead, and you know, I don't miss them a bit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I am maintenance but I have been diving much deeper into the electrical side of things much more lately so I can learn it and understand it better. I am currently in school and plan on pursuing more after I receive my Associates. But yeah I try my best to share what knowledge I do have with the operators and other less experienced maintenance guys and honestly even the more experienced guys too(but they think they know everything and everything I say is wrong if they don't agree with it). I realize we can learn something from everyone, but I think some people think differently. Once some of the old timers leave I think things will be better. Hopefully!

Another thing I've noticed lately is that some of the guys do not think as critically. I like to know a machine or component inside and out and the theory and the why, how, when of what makes it do what it does and so when I ask these questions a lot of them get snotty with me because they can't answer it because they've never thought of it in that much depth. They take my questions as me trying to make them look bad but I am only trying to know and learn as much as I possibly can every single day.

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
Old timers are gonna resent you cause you're young, losers and slackers are gonna resent you cause you're making them look bad, try to be as diplomatic as possible while making your career. If your in the the right job you'll never stop learning, new technologies will come through the door and you'll have to learn, install and maintain it all. I would also recommend formal education in addition to OJT. Good luck!

(Old timers) ! :laughing::laughing:

I do not resent him at all , in fact I wish him luck !

I would advise that he work on getting his licence , then nobody can complain !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, honestly the "old timers" isn't all of the guys that have been around for a long time. There are a select few that are always willing to show me as much as they can, but there are some that are just down right rude and want to keep all of their info to themselves.

·
Registered
439 Posts
How technical is your job? Do you work in a nuclear facility? Maintain complex automated machinery? Robots? Heavy industry like steel mill? Or maybe a warehouse complex. "Factory" doesn't mean much.

My answers to your questions might differ depending on the industry and complexity of the maintenance duties the staff is tasked to perform.

·
415 Posts
oldtimer said:
(Old timers) ! :laughing::laughing: I do not resent him at all , in fact I wish him luck ! I would advise that he work on getting his licence , then nobody can complain !
My apologies to you sir, in retrospect I should of said old bastards.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
As said, get all the education that they will pay for, then get all the
education that interests you and "Just do it"...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts