Electrician Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Journeyman Electrician
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all Scott here new to the forum. I really could use some fellow electricians help. I’m not sure where to post this so I hope here is okay. I’m a journeyman electrician trying to continue my education and learn more about our great trade. I’m from a small company and my boss is an amazing guy but he learned electrical the hard way and I learned from him. I’m trying to learn electrical theory, motor controls, etc. I just want to understand everything I can about the trade but I don’t know where to start. I looked at Mike holts ultimate training set but I’ve read mixed reviews. Sorry for the long post but any advice on programs or anything would be wonderful. I just want to be able to understand everything I can about the trade. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
Elechicken!
3,553 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for taking the time to fill out your profile.

Enjoy your stay here, other members can help with the information you seek.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,464 Posts
Welcome aboard @Scott61287!

If you use the search feature here there are plenty of old threads that have links to online classes, free and paid. I posted many over the years.

Industrial Controls Inc, Honeywell, etc all have various seminars for CEUs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Welcome. I preferred the structured environment of the classroom when I was new. The school I attended did theory in the morning and laboratory in the afternoon. Best way to learn electrical theory in my opinion. There's probably something available where you live.

Congratulations on passing your journeyman"s exam. That's no small feat for a guy with only on the job training. (If my assumptions are correct)

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Welcome aboard.

Tim.

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
3,046 Posts
Welcome

you-tube animation is my go to for theory as seeing things move seems easier then reading and trying to imagine how its moving.

You will get stuck and things wont make sense which is where people on the forum can help you.

·
Registered
Journeyman Electrician
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the warm welcome and the helpful info it is all appreciated. In this great trade there is truly so much to learn. As @TGWElectric presumed yes I’ve only ever had on the job training other then a journeyman prep course I took for the test so any insight on the right path is wonderful. I want to learn more I just don’t know where to start. For anyone that learned electrical what would be considered the right way any info helps. Thank you again all have a wonderful day

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
3,046 Posts
Start at the beginning and google

what is voltage AC and DC
what is amps
what is resistance
what is a insulator
what is rms voltage
what is a transformer
what is 3 phase
what is single phase with 2 legs 180 degrees out of phase
what is a capacitor
why does a 3 phase motor turn
how does a single phase motor start
what is a generator
what is pulse width modulation
what is a bridge rectifier
what is a start used for
what is a breaker (magnetic/thermal) and how does it work
what is voltage drop
what is a relay
etc

this will lead to hundreds of other questions that will lead to even more questions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts