Electrician Talk banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have looked and asked friends in the business, I can't get a straight answer on getting licensed. I do not know what is required. If possible I would like to get licensed, if I dont have to jump through hoops like everything else in this state.

·
Coffee drinking member
13,429 Posts
Svtlightning207 said:
I have looked and asked friends in the business, I can't get a straight answer on getting licensed. I do not know what is required. If possible I would like to get licensed, if I dont have to jump through hoops like everything else in this state.
Then here is how you find out what you gotta do.
Good luck in your quest.

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
lol! believe me I have. I use google enough, I believe you could possibly find blueprints for a a-bomb. but I havent found my answer for this.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
thanks for the link. I will look more into this. Ive gone through local (saratoga county) licensing page, with no luck. perhaps areas such as saratoga springs, clifton park, etc each have their own licensing? It just seems bogus to me that its not a state-wide program.

·
ET rocks
2,875 Posts
I've done wiring on cars, trailers, etc throughout the years as well.
Hell, maybe you can help me out. i've got a customer that mounted a Guardian 7.5kw lp genset on the cargo rack on top, and all the way to the rear of a 40' aluminum horse trailer with living quarters.

The remote start will be by the door in the living quarters and the 30A cordset is up at the front of the trailer.

What wiring method would you use on this sleek looking trailer? Also, DPDT or just a receptacle?

Thx.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I would probably use MC and find a way to run it in the inside upper corner of the trailer roof, and i forgot what the rest of your question said so ill have to post again lol

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Why would you need a double pull switch for a remote start? is it a diesel? maybe a glowplug on the down position, and start on the top? I would think a momentary would suffice. and the generator is for? lighting? receptacles? I'll tell you what bring it by and i'll take a look.

·
Registered
31,151 Posts
SVT,

I will tell you that being an unlicensed contractor, no electrical if required or no business license and no insurance puts you in a rough spot on an electrical forum.

The licensed contractors frown on this type of business plan as generally it hurts the legitimate contractors.

And while what we do is not magic or requires a PHD, OJT goes a long way in forming a good electrician. Self-taught is admirable, and maybe what you wire does not burn down. But I THINK doing it right without some guidance along the way is WELL NOT IMPOSSIBLE, but damn tough.

Just my two cents

·
Registered
31,151 Posts
Because I don't have a license does not mean I dont know what I'm doing.
You did state you had no experience working with an electrical contractor?

You have no formal or informal apprenticeship? Never worked as a helper?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I have experience working with non licensed electricians. Lets get one thing straight, none of you have seen my work, therefore making any statement, or assumption that I do not know what I'm doing, would be nothing more than an opinion.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
Hows it going?
I've recently started my own business specializing in residential service.
Im not licensed, I know that may be looked down upon by some, however I enjoy doing this work and have been doing it for a while. I do not know everything and will not claim to, I joined this site in hopes to learn a thing or two from seasoned electricians. I wish to stick to residential work, follow the code, and laws, and hope to become successful at what I do. I would like to become a licensed electrician, But I need time under a licensed contractor to do so, I believe. (I have yet to find a straight answer on becoming licensed in new york state)
Welcome to ET.....:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Coffee drinking member
13,429 Posts
Ya, welcome to ET.
Don't take anything personal.
At least you didn't say you were an AC guy or roofer. :)

·
Registered
12,376 Posts
Svtlightning207 said:
Hows it going?
I've recently started my own business specializing in residential service.
Im not licensed, I know that may be looked down upon by some, however I enjoy doing this work and have been doing it for a while. I do not know everything and will not claim to, I joined this site in hopes to learn a thing or two from seasoned electricians. I wish to stick to residential work, follow the code, and laws, and hope to become successful at what I do. I would like to become a licensed electrician, But I need time under a licensed contractor to do so, I believe. (I have yet to find a straight answer on becoming licensed in new york state)
Well I really like doing brain surgery, but I'm not licensed or had formal training. Best part about it is, if I screw up the customer never complains!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
If you compare residential electric to brain surgery, you must not be very smart. Just saying. Ive come here to learn a thing or two, not be bashed. I feel as welcome as a civic at a subaru meet lol. But I dont mind, Im sure theres plenty of helpful people on this board.

·
Registered
12,376 Posts
Svtlightning207 said:
If you compare residential electric to brain surgery, you must not be very smart. Just saying. Ive come here to learn a thing or two, not be bashed. I feel as welcome as a civic at a subaru meet lol. But I dont mind, Im sure theres plenty of helpful people on this board.
I wasn't comparing the two, I was being jocular. Around here being bashed is pretty much the norm. If it's hugs you came for, you're out of luck.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts