Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there to all. Kodi here out of Richmond Virginia.A shot in the dark but I am sure someone out there may have the right answer for me. I am a 6 year military veteran just recently released after my term. I am an Electronics Technician/Electrician with 6 years experience working with all different types of electronics and electrical systems. I have hands on experience installing, maintaining, troubleshooting, and repairing anything from basic voltage distribution systems (120VAC single phase to 440VAC 3Phase) to advanced missile launching and detection systems. I have 84 college credits of which 90% are Electrical/Electronics rated and still yet for some reason I cannot get a job in the Richmond,VA area because I am not a Journeyman. I have applied with numerous electrical contractors in the area and have made it clear I understand there are the NEC regulations among other things I am unfamiliar with when it comes to residential/commercial/industrial electricity. I have only been asking for a position as an Apprentice. Although I feel that I will learn quickly since I do already have an education in a very similar field I do not want to stretch anything and would be happy with a job in a field I enjoy. Does anyone have any information that may be helpful or quite possibly an explanation that may help me understand why I cannot get a job.

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
New and looking for assistance

Sounds like a parallel of my life after the military. However, if you go the the VA they would supply you with a counselor. That is what I did and when I did land an apprenticeship they showed me how to get paid by the contractor and draw VA benefits, as well. I hope the Veterans Administration is STILL working for the EX GIs. Good luck.

·
Chairman of the Bored
9,779 Posts
Hello there to all. Kodi here out of Richmond Virginia.A shot in the dark but I am sure someone out there may have the right answer for me. I am a 6 year military veteran just recently released after my term. I am an Electronics Technician/Electrician with 6 years experience working with all different types of electronics and electrical systems. I have hands on experience installing, maintaining, troubleshooting, and repairing anything from basic voltage distribution systems (120VAC single phase to 440VAC 3Phase) to advanced missile launching and detection systems. I have 84 college credits of which 90% are Electrical/Electronics rated and still yet for some reason I cannot get a job in the Richmond,VA area because I am not a Journeyman. I have applied with numerous electrical contractors in the area and have made it clear I understand there are the NEC regulations among other things I am unfamiliar with when it comes to residential/commercial/industrial electricity. I have only been asking for a position as an Apprentice. Although I feel that I will learn quickly since I do already have an education in a very similar field I do not want to stretch anything and would be happy with a job in a field I enjoy. Does anyone have any information that may be helpful or quite possibly an explanation that may help me understand why I cannot get a job.
first of all, thanks for your military service to the country, and welcome to the forum.
second, with electronic experience, try going to college and getting some sort of electronics degree (you'd get one quick with all those credit hours), maybe, and apply at Siemens, Allen and Bradley, etc.
being a JW is not all it is cracked up to be...maybe get into control work?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks man. This forum seems like it can be a very useful tool to have at ones disposal if ever in an electrical bind. I am glad to be here and hopefully soon I will land a job, learn some things and be able to contribute. I know the economy is hurting real bad and I just have hope sometime soon there will be a huge project and some spots will open up. Thanks again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
first of all, thanks for your military service to the country, and welcome to the forum.
second, with electronic experience, try going to college and getting some sort of electronics degree (you'd get one quick with all those credit hours), maybe, and apply at Siemens, Allen and Bradley, etc.
being a JW is not all it is cracked up to be...maybe get into control work?
no doubt about that. I start electronics engineering school this summer but honestly it will be a few years before I am finished and to find a job fresh out of college will not be easy. I just enjoy working with all different types of electrical/electronic systems really doesn't matter to me. I picked it up very easy and I am pretty good at it. My father is a retired Electrician and I have done quite a bit of work with him as far as "Electrician" work goes but right now I just want a job to pay bills and take care of my kid. I def plan to finish school and get into some sort of electronics field in the future but in the meantime I would like to do something that will exercise skills I already have that way I can make at least somewhat close to what I am worth.

Have most wages been cut since the economy flopped or are most of you guys just working less hours?

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
Thanks man. This forum seems like it can be a very useful tool to have at ones disposal if ever in an electrical bind. I am glad to be here and hopefully soon I will land a job, learn some things and be able to contribute. I know the economy is hurting real bad and I just have hope sometime soon there will be a huge project and some spots will open up. Thanks again.
Be persistant and don't give up and you will land a job.:thumbsup:

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
jobs are not plentiful. try looking for tech jobs at some of the local bases and government contractors, if they have openings. (general dynamics, trw, etc)

·
Chairman of the Bored
9,779 Posts
jobs are not plentiful. try looking for tech jobs at some of the local bases and government contractors, if they have openings. (general dynamics, trw, etc)
Great idea!
Defense contractors would put you above other applicants seeing as you have extensive military/electronic training.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Have most wages been cut since the economy flopped or are most of you guys just working less hours?
In our local our wages have not been cut, but Health and Welfare has taken all of our wage increases. Work hours are down for those still working.

I spoke with a benefits administrator who estimated that 50% of our local was out of work.

·
Chairman of the Bored
9,779 Posts
So what's up with Cali?
Heard you are bankrupt and the US is going to sell you to Mexico? this true?

·
Registered
964 Posts
So what's up with Cali?
Heard you are bankrupt and the US is going to sell you to Mexico? this true?
California could quite possibly be the first failed state, only time will tell.

If that should happen it certainly would not bode well for the rest of the country, since if California was an independent nation it would have the eighth largest economy in the world.

I happen to love Mexico and it's people. I would love nothing more than to retire in Puerto Vallarta with the Mexican people without all their pretenses.

It's sadly unfortunate that such a once great society fell victim to governmental corruption and plunder, for they surely are (for the most part) a truly great people.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interview and skills test

Hey whats happening everybody, I am writing this post still on this thread because all of you that have read my intro know my situation. I have an interview tomorrow with an electrical contractor here in Richmond. I have completed a phone interview and now must pass a one on one interview. After that is completed I must take a skills test and then of course the drug screening. You all know that I am not a traditional electrician but more so of the military side of the house electrician. I have bought the UGLY's reference book quite a while ago and love it. My question to you all; Can anyone tell me what I am expected to know about commercial electrical work at the apprentice level? I kind of fell like I'm going to be OK with the knowledge that I have so far but I just want to make sure I study anything else because I really need to bag this gig.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Kodi
Why don't you apply at an Electric utility? You can usually do it via their web site.. They love ex military!!! Also there is a company called "american electrical testing company". Electric utilities pay very well!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Kodi
Why don't you apply at an Electric utility? You can usually do it via their web site.. They love ex military!!! Also there is a company called "american electrical testing company". Electric utilities pay very well!!:thumbsup:
AET is a good company, I know the owners well, really any NETA company woudl be interested in ex-military guy with your experience. You can find one in your area at www.netaworld.org

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes, I agree about AET. I would love to work for them. Applied once but to no avail. Sure would like to hear from them again. Do you know if their work has picked up? I did a search fo all the NETA companies on their web site, seems like 99% of listings are for AET. Know of any in PA besides AET?:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts