Electrician Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey nice to meet all of you. I know you guys on here are experienced in your trade so I thought you might be able to help me out. First off I'm 18 and a senior in highschool, and very interested in becoming an electrician. The thing is I don't have any electrical background or basic knowledge (i wish i took some electronic classes at school) but I'm very interested in electricity and think I'd learn things fast. Ohm's law and electron theory are the only things I'm pretty familiar with..

I was just wondering if its a good idea for me to get into this trade, and whats the best way to get started. Just recently I spoke with Lincoln Tech telling me about their electrical program and they told me I'd have great job opportunities once I finish their one year program (which costs 20k). I'm about to take a look at Porter and Chester too. They said theyd teach me everything and provide lots of hands on training, but I just wanna know if going to one of these schools will really help me out once I'm ready to land a job. If theres any better directions to take when getting started right out of highschool please let me know.

Also if you have any advice about something or where I can learn more I'd really appreciate it. I want to know as much as I can before i graduate, just so I can get a grip on the basics and what to know. Thanks alot to whoever replies

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
Try to get a job with a local contractor and learn that way. This is the second time tonight that I have heard about people paying over 20k for schooling. I would look into a union apprenticeship program.

·
Waaambulance Driver
629 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The first thing I would do is stay away from Lincoln Tech and schools that want a lot of your money. You do not need to lay out that kind of money to learn the trade. Look into an apprenticeship with the IBEW or IEC. With the IBEW (JATC) you will only pay for your books, the tuition is free. I am not sure how the IEC does it. Look on the internet for the IBEW local nearest you and call them. If you are in the Plainville area I think its local 35.

Charlie

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Welcome.

20K Fagettaboutit!!!

What end of the Industry are you looking at?

Electrician or Electronics?

Electrician: Get in with a local contractor. Very little money. But that will come with time.

Electronics: Go to college. 20K is cheap!!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
You are young enough to have many options ,unfortunately the unemployment currently plaguing our industry is an obstacle. The best advice I can offer is to contact your nearest IBEW local and register for their apprenticeship program. Twenty thousand dollars for your other option is not a good choice.

I would seriously consider the armed forces for a few years , the training is first rate, especially the U.S.N, I have worked with many old salts over the years who got their early training in the Navy. At the end of your enlistment period you can use the G.I bill privilege to pay for any further education. Then when you renew your IBEW application you may get some preferential treatment because of your service to your country. Good luck to you. BillW.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts