Electrician Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would post on the introduction thread. Started the company last year. I grew up in the business, with annual gross sells over one million. Due to certain events, I then went to work for other contractors. Working as an electrician, then estimator and then on to project management. With the economy so bad here in Southern California, I decided to activate my lic. (kept it all these years so I could have a way to make a living if times were bad)
Not the best economy to start out. But it has not been to bad so far. Not great but not bad either. Due to extablished relationships developed over the years. It is nice to have the ability to speak to other EC's regarding the things they are experiencing. Also to bounce ideas off of each other is a big plus. I intend to keep the company small. Easy to manage, ie: not over 5-10 employees. When owning a larger company it can be pretty consuming with our personal time. A mistake I hope not to repeat.
Over the years, I learned bigger is better only in profits, not in gross sales.
Regards

Bill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome. What kind of work do you do?

Currently I have industrial Control and School District by P.O., accts# I am attempting to market towards the Residentail work in hopes to fill in the spaces in the schedule and to assist in cash flow. My other accts are all 30 days or more. Resi accts for us pay after work is completed. In Southern Cal. new construction is all but dead. So we have been focusing on service. If not to large and with as small an overhead burden as a company can get. It should be profitable.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
Thought I would post on the introduction thread. Started the company last year. I grew up in the business, with annual gross sells over one million. Due to certain events, I then went to work for other contractors. Working as an electrician, then estimator and then on to project management. With the economy so bad here in Southern California, I decided to activate my lic. (kept it all these years so I could have a way to make a living if times were bad)
Not the best economy to start out. But it has not been to bad so far. Not great but not bad either. Due to extablished relationships developed over the years. It is nice to have the ability to speak to other EC's regarding the things they are experiencing. Also to bounce ideas off of each other is a big plus. I intend to keep the company small. Easy to manage, ie: not over 5-10 employees. When owning a larger company it can be pretty consuming with our personal time. A mistake I hope not to repeat.
Over the years, I learned bigger is better only in profits, not in gross sales.
Regards

Bill
Welcome to the forum...:thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts