Electrician Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have been in law enforcement for 6 summers now but could not ever find full time work in saskatchewan. I recently decided to look into the electrical field and within a month i think i will be starting on as an Electrical Apprentice. I am 26 years old and right out of high school i was looking at either going into law enforcement or becoming an electrician. I chose the wrong path but now am really excited for the career change.
While i am waiting to get on i have been searching online for information on the trade such as installing switches, lighting, conduit, and running wire. I will be totally new to the trade not having any formal training and want to be as prepared as i can going into my first day. I understand that i will not be doing major installations right off the start and that i will most likley be doing grunt work but i am just wondering what i should expect on my first day? is there anything really important that my employer will expect me to know that i may not know?

Basically i would just like to know what other people learnt in their first couple weeks of work and what type of jobs they were assigned to. Thanks for the help.

Richard

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
Hello

I have been in law enforcement for 6 summers now but could not ever find full time work in saskatchewan. I recently decided to look into the electrical field and within a month i think i will be starting on as an Electrical Apprentice. I am 26 years old and right out of high school i was looking at either going into law enforcement or becoming an electrician. I chose the wrong path but now am really excited for the career change.
While i am waiting to get on i have been searching online for information on the trade such as installing switches, lighting, conduit, and running wire. I will be totally new to the trade not having any formal training and want to be as prepared as i can going into my first day. I understand that i will not be doing major installations right off the start and that i will most likley be doing grunt work but i am just wondering what i should expect on my first day? is there anything really important that my employer will expect me to know that i may not know?

Basically i would just like to know what other people learnt in their first couple weeks of work and what type of jobs they were assigned to. Thanks for the help.

Richard
Well ask all the questions possible be on time every day and work as hard as you can listen to instruction and read everything you can about Electrical work get your self a good set of tools your electrical contractor should have a tool list handy(Do not buy cheap tools get the best and you get your moneys worth)

Welcome to the Electrical trade and ET.....:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
Hello

Richard

Welcome to the trade , and this forum.

Keep in touch, and I'm sure everyone here will help. :thumbsup:

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
61,085 Posts
Greetings, welcome aboard. Still smiling about "26 and right out of high school".

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I started in the trade at a late age. I remember a big obstacle was learning the lingo of the material for example. I used to hate not being able to understand the lingo.

I also remember whenever I got handy with my testers I became much more productive...

Learn the lingo and learn how not to kill yourself...

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
Greetings, welcome aboard. Still smiling about "26 and right out of high school".

Just a little levity!!

Reminds me of a Jeff Foxworthy story.

(You know you are a a redneck, when, you graduate from high school on the same day as your son).

Please do not take this seriously.

It's just a feeble attempt at humor!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol i graduated and went into law enforcement for 6 years but wish i would have went right into the trade Lol! should have worded first post differently now i look like a champ.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts