Electrician Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, i just found this site and i realized it could possibly help me out.

Im extremely interested in becoming an electrician, just the hands on work and everything really drew me in. The problem is, i just dont really understand what i need to do.

Im 19, in Eugene Oregon, out of high school, and im in the marine corps reserves. I wanted to be an electrician in the corps but the day before i left for bootcamp, they changed my MOS to combat engineer. Not what i wanted but oh well, i still love it. ive worked at a grocery store for close to 3 years, and my MOS trained me in alot of construction skills.

i was hoping that that military electrician work experience might get me somewhere, but that didn't end up happening haha. so i figured id take electrical classes at my community college, but all they have is electrical theory 1 and 2, and motors. its only 3 classes is that even worth taking? plus the way the schedule is set up it would take over a year to take all 3. It seems like that would just pretty much waste a whole year while i could be doing other things for just 3 classes. Would taking those be beneficial? or should i just go all out for an associates degree first?

Ive looked all over the internet, and ive found penn foster online college has an electrician course online. But then ive heard that schools just a big scam too, so i dont know about that either. if it was legit, would that help in getting a job?

And then from what i understand the main way to become an electrician is to get hired on an apprenticeship. Now i understand what that is, but i dont get where id apply for these or whats really required to get one. I have work experience showing im dedicated, 3 years at a grocery store and i signed a 6 year contract to the marines, but nothing electrical. So would it even be worth applying right now or do i need more electrical related work experience?

Like i said im really set on doing this, and id like to get started as soon as possible. but it just seems like theres so much stuff involved and i dont know where to start at. Anyone have any good advice for me?

thanks for taking time out to read this

·
Registered
14,325 Posts
Welcome.

I started with no experience, I got lucky though I didn't have to do the helper work most do. One way is to try to get hired on as a helper with a non union shop and work your way up.There are always union apprenticeships but you could be sitting around a long time before you get accepted.

You can always take college classes on line. Heck you can work your way through a degree one or 2 at a time if you want while working.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. When you say helper; what's that mean exactly. ? Just that simple? Like helping an electrician work? What kinds of shops would you do this for? And what kind of money do you make doing that? Also would any certain work experience be neccesarry to get a job as a helper? How long would it normally take to move up? Sorry if these questions sound dumb, im just trying to find out everything I can.

·
Registered
14,325 Posts
Thanks for your reply. When you say helper; what's that mean exactly. ? Just that simple? Like helping an electrician work? What kinds of shops would you do this for? And what kind of money do you make doing that? Also would any certain work experience be neccesarry to get a job as a helper? How long would it normally take to move up? Sorry if these questions sound dumb, im just trying to find out everything I can.
Digging, hauling material, running parts around the site, the grunt work. Not very much experience, a good attitude is important, being connected with your cell phone is bad. Show that you are serious about the trade and stick with it. Do a good job on resumes and applications, no spelling errors or stuff like that.

·
Fried Bologna um um good!
8,094 Posts
Thank you for your service.:thumbsup:

Being a helper or apprentice is like staying a lowly E1 for the first year or two. The more you learn the better it gets. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys, so whats the best way to get a job as a helper? i dont even know where to apply. what kind of businesses hire for that thing? i havent been able to find any sort of electrician shop lol i just dont know what to look for.

also is there different types of trades? whats an inside electrician compared to others? whats the most common to go for?

·
Registered
14,325 Posts
thanks guys, so whats the best way to get a job as a helper? i dont even know where to apply. what kind of businesses hire for that thing? i havent been able to find any sort of electrician shop lol i just dont know what to look for.

also is there different types of trades? whats an inside electrician compared to others? whats the most common to go for?
Just start knocking on the door of every electrical contractor you can find till you get a job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts