Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
guy in texas did better than both of us today.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97108

wish they had that deal at my lowes.
Several weeks ago I was at Lowes and they had the 7" and 10" Cobras together in a package for 20.99. Considering that the 10" Cobra by itself was marked at 29.99, I was going to buy all 4-5 sets they had at the lower price. As I began grabbing the packages and mentioned this to my wife I saw her face take on a peculiar expression that impressed upon me to stop at one set.;)

I had to correct the cashier, but I got it at the lower price. A week or so later when I was there again, they were remarked to 29.99. Its still a good deal though, basically free 7" cobra pliers.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Chisel knife.

Just bought this today, mainly to have a play around with it since I was curious and I am impressed, just decimated a piece of 2x4 and sliced my finger open. Its like having a small very precise axe.

What I'm looking for is a rough tool I dont mind digging dirt out of conduit, opening steel strapped cartons, using as a putty knife, cutting up cardboard, chiseling drywall, basically nothing I want to use any of my tools for, haha.
All the Bahco stuff I've used has been top notch. I might try out their linesman pliers just to try something new. I like the looks of that knife.

·
Registered
458 Posts
got a 10" knipex pliers wrench this week. already put them in my work tools and took out my crescent wrench. cannot believe i paid $50 for a pair of pliers. i hope they are worth it. is it a pair of pliers? is it a wrench? i do not know.

very few work tools i can upgrade left. still can upgrade:
1. hacksaw. i have a craftsman. it is made in china. thinking bahco 325.
2. razor knife. i use a turboknife X. it is made in china. started a thread on
made in USA razor knifes. still have not pulled the trigger.
3. cube tester. i have a sperry with the GFI trip button. it is made in china. do
they even make a made in USA receptacle tester with a GFI button? this
may be a lost cause.
If you're one of the people that carries a hacksaw, I can't say enough good things about that one. I also had an older craftsman model and got the bahco 325 a few months ago. The only minor (very minor) quibble I had was that I couldn't store blades in its frame. It takes about 3 seconds to turn the blade over though which keeps my fingers from getting scraped when reaching into my toolbag. I also thought about getting a small piece of pvc pipe with caps to store blades in, but I don't feel like adding more stuff to the toolbag.

I try to gauge tools and put them into two categories. If it broke, was stolen, or got lost:
1. Would I buy it again?
2. Would I try something different?

The Bahco 325 is one that I would buy again.

·
Registered
458 Posts
my hacksaw got delivered by UPS yesterday. it got here right before my wife got home from work. she does not bitch when i buy tools, but she does not need to know everything. anyways, i will check it out today and put it in my work tools today. the blade that comes with it is a lot better than what we usually get (mostly i am used to the greenlee blades). i would order a couple extra, but hacksaw blades are supposed to be supplied by the contractor.

<snip>
Congratz on your new saw. I've also run into the bolded problem myself. I like having quality stuff, but when my nice stuff wears out and is replaced by the contractor with 'as cheap as it gets'...

I still don't know how it ends in the long run, maybe I'll just end up supplying myself with the tools I want and hoping it doesn't cause any problems...

·
Registered
458 Posts

Stubby 6 in 1. :thumbup:
Heh, I was sure this was a photoshop till I went and looked it up. I had no idea Klein made those. Handy thing to tuck away for those rare moments when its the only thing that will work. I have one of these but I kind of like the looks of that little Klein one.

:cursing: ...and I just realized where you got the picture of it. I should have checked that first. :)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Aren't the union boys gonna bust your chops for those unamerican tools?
Bah. No one tells me what brand I can or can't carry. Most of them think they're dollar store tools anyway. Although I can't seem to get away from the Klein 11-in-1 screwdriver. None of the other brands seem to work quite as well.

Demac where can I get wera for cheap?
I'm not sure about cheap, but I buy most my stuff off of Amazon, and I've heard a lot of guys have good luck with Chads Toolbox. Another screwdriver brand I really like is PB Swiss, but they seem less friendly to Imperial sizes then Wera is, and they're harder to get as well.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Have you tried the NWS pliers at all?

I'm in the market for a couple of pairs and I'm stuck between the Knipex Cobra/NWS Quattro.
Dunno if I found this video off ET or some other site, but here is a comparison. They appear to be a bit biased towards NWS, but you still get some nice shots of them side by side.

They might grip the bolt or nut better if you opened them up to the right size...I'm just sayin...

·
Registered
458 Posts
I was hoping the red color would be brighter. I've left my Greenlee level in the ceiling so many times I'm amazed I still have it after 3 years.

It's not accurate anymore though. It's taken a few tumbles and the bottom is worn, but it's great for cleaning shavings out of a panel.
Maybe put a small strip of reflective tape on it. Can't find it? Flash your light around the dark area's of the ceiling. It's saved me a couple times...

Nice levels. For some reason I was thinking that they went out of business, or quit making the little no dogs, or something. Good to see them still there though, or back.

·
Registered
458 Posts

This isn't really that new, but I got these in the past few weeks. Haven't used the bit set yet, but I'm assuming (and hoping) its better than the milwaukee one I had.
I love those gloves. I wear mine quite a bit. Don't forget you have the fingerless ones on when you grab something metal thats been in the sun. :no:

·
Registered
458 Posts
Just some new tools and my opinions on them so far

Bahco *****, spring loaded is very impressive feature as I can remove the spring from action, jaws are strong ( time will tell how compares the Knipex or Klein ***** the 2 best available so far )
Best ***** I've ever owned. I use the angle head (#2213 I think). Blows away the kleins and knipex in my opinion. I was so impressed, I'm going to try their linesman pliers at some point when my knipex ones are done.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Yea, my opinion. I've used the kleins and knipex ***** both and I liked those bahco ones much better. The kleins felt 'mushy' and the knipex seemed to take more effort to cut the same material. Those bahco's seemed to 'snap' better when cutting thicker wire.

Use them awhile and then post your thoughts back. To each their own...

·
Registered
458 Posts
Wrapping my old mans birthday present, Occidental seems like top knotch stuff, I'm sure he will like it!
I was pretty impressed with their stuff. I haven't tried their toolbelts, but I've been using this tote for the last month and really like it. Out of the box I worked it over with some saddle soap. A couple days later I did it again. I haven't done anything since and its starting to settle in better now. They seem to use decent quality leather. I would have preferred a natural color instead of the dyed leather, but it's not that big of a deal. I'm still tinkering around with the setup, but it I sure like working out of it.

I didn't know Bahco made a combo square, but some of their stuff is hard to get here. Looks good mate. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.