Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 1st tugger. Its a maxis 3000 with foot pedals, jack stands, simpull rope and came with a new milwaukee super hawg. I borrowed one from the supply house a while back as a promo deal. Had to spend a little before the end of the year and it looked like a tool to have. Any tips from others who have this?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Never have used that one or one similar, but just looking at it ,it does not look like it would have much tork/pull

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
The 6000 uses the same Super Hawg, so how does it pull twice as much? Just a different gearbox?

I wonder if everything else is the same and if you could just change out the gearbox/spindle to double it's capacity.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Make sure to get the OK to drill holes in the concrete/floor, before you drill holes in the concrete. Drill deeper than anchors depth so you can have enough to patch.

Talk to some concrete pep's to get an idea of good patch grout. Buy and carry it in a sealed bucket with correct tools in it! min. 500 lb grout, more like 1000 lb stuff. read directions on grout.

Make another container of nuts, bolts, washers, SDS bit, 5 #'r, trowel, plastic stir stick, use two way radio's, put - donate the correct fastener tool to container.

Never use any blocking, human or otherwise, always make mechanically fast.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Make sure to get the OK to drill holes in the concrete/floor, before you drill holes in the concrete. Drill deeper than anchors depth so you can have enough to patch.

Talk to some concrete pep's to get an idea of good patch grout. Buy and carry it in a sealed bucket with correct tools in it! min. 500 lb grout, more like 1000 lb stuff. read directions on grout.

Make another container of nuts, bolts, washers, SDS bit, 5 #'r, trowel, plastic stir stick, use two way radio's, put - donate the correct fastener tool to container.

I have had one of these for years and never bolted it down to a floor.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts

I have never seen it fastened down.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
The ones with the arms don't always need to be bolted down.

The old school way was to bolt a Greenlee tugger to the floor and use a wheel hanging from the bar joist or I-beam to get the rope pulling in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got the tripod and the foot pedals. The foot pedals are wireless, one on each end. The machine will only run unless both pedals are pressed. Probably still have radios but if something goes wrong on the feed end I thought it would be a safer way to operate. With the tripod you wouldn't need to fasten to the floor, just setup and go. I gave $4500 for the setup. It was $3400 without the tripod, foot pedals, rope and jack stands. Just a tugger isn't any good without the goodies. I don't pull anything larger than 4/0 right now. We have been pulling everything by hand to date, so this should make things a little easier.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
I never got a chance to use the wireless foot pedals. If it was a pull where we thought there might be a problem and need to stop it quick, we would often run some cords from the tugger side down to the feeding side and plug the tugger in there. This way if there was a problem the people feeding could pull the cord out to kill the tugger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts