Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new Ontario ESA VD requirements since febr 2014 are allowing a max of 38m for a 15Amp breaker.
Does it make sense to put a pony panel in the center of the house, than running the risk that the runs are too long?
Opinions on this would be appreciated.
Jacob

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
The new Ontario ESA VD requirements since febr 2014 are allowing a max of 38m for a 15Amp breaker.
Does it make sense to put a pony panel in the center of the house, than running the risk that the runs are too long?
Jacob
How often do you go over 38 m ?

Welcome to the forum...:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I would rather start the longer runs in 12/2 and then transition to 14/2. Label in the panel 'max breaker 15A'. A sub panel just for circuits that go passed 38m seams like a waste of time and money. Unless the house is Huge, how big is it?

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Pardon my American ignorance but 38meters translates to 125 feet?

Seems low. I know of runs of 200 feet no issue.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
My little ideal VD tester seems to flunk more older wiring than new

~CS~

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,675 Posts
Jacob
Sub panel not needed in my opinion. Larger wires would be cheaper.

Only applies to residential and only for general lighting and plugs.

Appliances, kitchen receptacles, outdoor receptacles and heating or cooking circuits are exempt from the new code as well

1 - 9 of 9 Posts