Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
dammit my old wiggy finally crapped out
oh well it was passed down 3 generations.
so while picking up some wire from my supplier he brought out a gummy bear (gardner bender) model gvt392
it has 2 leds in the top to display ac and dc plus a solenoid like me old wiggy
reads up to 500 volts
got it for 20 dollars
anyhow i tested it today on my panel and compared the results with my fluke and my old analog and its pretty accurate:eek:

Attachments

Reactions: Wirenuting

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reactions: HARRY304E

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,992 Posts
gnuuser said:
dammit my old wiggy finally crapped out oh well it was passed down 3 generations. so while picking up some wire from my supplier he brought out a gummy bear (gardner bender) model gvt392 it has 2 leds in the top to display ac and dc plus a solenoid like me old wiggy reads up to 500 volts got it for 20 dollars anyhow i tested it today on my panel and compared the results with my fluke and my old analog and its pretty accurate:eek:
I still have my old one. I don't use it at work anymore. You can't use it on VFD's and we have buildings here with 400hz also.
But I'll never get rid of my old square D wiggy..

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Gardner Bender, I could never pull the trigger on that.

Everything they make seems cheap, I'd be worried the damn thing would blow up the first time I used it on 480....

T+ Pro or Knopp for me!

·
Senior Lurker
1,310 Posts
I have a couple pairs of Gardner Bender linemans. They last forever!

They forgot to cross hatch the teeth. so they dont get used.

·
Registered
14,472 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't use that thing if it was on the end of a hot stick. Cheap!!!! :laughing:

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the shop i bought it from is a hardware store (ACE)and not an electrical supply house, and they generally cater to HO, and residential electricians.
resi guys may work with 480 from time to time but even educated HO. will probably never be working with 3 phase or inverter drives!:laughing:

after many years as a store owner myself the most important thing you can do is cater to the largest group and type of people who you will be dealing with. high ticket items will not sell as readily as lower cost items. and the space they occupy can be of more value.

seriously this is econonics 101:rolleyes:

I got the wiggy at a discount because he wanted me to try it out and give him my opinion.

but keep in mind I know it is not a specialty device for professionals

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
After ruining one fluke MM And losing another over a 6 year period I just went out and bought the Klein wiggy with continuity tester for everyday use that can roll around in my cluttered tool bag. Now I only pull out my new MM when I need it.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you not a professional?
yes i am
but like i said i got it to test out and give my opinion to the store owner (who happens to be a friend)
his concern is it good enough for a home owner.
answer is yes.
it is easy to use and gives fairly accurate results!

but for a professional no.
we deal with a lot more than just probing for power and verifying a breaker is off. so no it would not be suitable for us.:laughing:

·
Registered
149 Posts
What can you not love about a tester that rattles like its about to fall apart. I gotta old school ideal vol con and I feel more confident with it than I do my dmms. Rattle=energized
no rattle= de-energized
Don't get me wrong I hardly ever use it, but if I'm in doubt; I'll put the wiggy on it.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
dammit my old wiggy finally crapped out
oh well it was passed down 3 generations.
so while picking up some wire from my supplier he brought out a gummy bear (gardner bender) model gvt392
it has 2 leds in the top to display ac and dc plus a solenoid like me old wiggy
reads up to 500 volts
got it for 20 dollars
anyhow i tested it today on my panel and compared the results with my fluke and my old analog and its pretty accurate:eek:
Since it has a solenoid I suppose it will load the circuit a bit (good), will it do continuity as well?

$20 means you will never loose it:laughing:

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,992 Posts
Semi-Ret Electrician said:
Since it has a solenoid I suppose it will load the circuit a bit (good), will it do continuity as well? $20 means you will never loose it:laughing:
I watched one of my younger coworkers blow out a VFD today with his Christmas present. LoL
I can't say I didn't warn him. He's a bosses super hero and he knows more then anyone.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.