Electrician Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm sure this is a fairly typical post. I'm just trying to get into the field and out of retail.

I've been reading the American Electrician's Handbook to start out.

the name is Lee btw.

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
Hey, I'm sure this is a fairly typical post. I'm just trying to get into the field and out of retail.

I've been reading the American Electrician's Handbook to start out.

the name is Lee btw.
I can tell by your face you have been reading it. Welcome, anyway.:)

·
Registered
31,130 Posts
Not sure if that is the book I would start with but it does show your determination.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Are you pimping propane also?

"The only woman I'm pimping is sweet lady propane! And I'm tricking her out all over this town"

Just kidding!

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Tom Henry's electrical theory is a really good book for beginners.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmmm. I will check out that book more suited for beginners.

I'm basically starting from almost nothing.

I'm about to start going down the phone book calling to look for work. Is that a good approach? Is there anything I should say in particular?

Any advice on starting out or a link to a good thread on getting started would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
hmmm. I will check out that book more suited for beginners.

I'm basically starting from almost nothing.

I'm about to start going down the phone book calling to look for work. Is that a good approach? Is there anything I should say in particular?

Any advice on starting out or a link to a good thread on getting started would be very much appreciated.
Offer to work a few hours for free, maybe you can find someone who needs temp help, so you can learn a few basics to make yourself more marketable.

If someone ask you to bug in the overhead service, just say no.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Offer to work a few hours for free, maybe you can find someone who needs temp help, so you can learn a few basics to make yourself more marketable.

If someone ask you to bug in the overhead service, just say no.
I actually didn't even think of temping. That might not be a bad idea. I've got a few years experience in hardware retail, but have never worked in electrical.

Duly noted on the overhead thing.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I actually didn't even think of temping. That might not be a bad idea. I've got a few years experience in hardware retail, but have never worked in electrical.

Duly noted on the overhead thing.
BKlessler is an electrical contractor who makes a dollar off of labor, so I am sure it would please him to get you and 16 others to work for free. Maybe his idea is good but a different approach I would think is needed. If you go google electrician jobs I am sure you will find something that will pay you for your labors.Habitat for humanity or local churches can offer opportunities to learn as you work for free and benefit others who are not influenced by the dollar bill.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts