Electrician Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, my names Andy I'm 44 years old from Chelmsford, MA. I hold onto my journeymans' license but am now a branch manager for an electrical distributor. Let me tell yah, you can learn a lot in a supply house dealing with lighting and gear software, lighting design and the information you can aquire there through vendors. I got out of the trade because of health reasons. It was killing me out there, by the time I got home I was practically crawling from pain. It was then I knew I had to make a career decision. I started at the counter and witin 3 years had a chance to be a branch manager in a larger supply house than the one I was presently at. I took it, as scared as I was I took it. It took almost a year to gain respect from everyone around me, as some we're there for years with no chance at the position that I just walked into. Now, I'm in a great place with great people. I get to talk to all types of electricians from every aspect of the trade. I get invloved with training and share my experience where I can help. I love my job and consider myself lucky. Also, I'm glad to be here and look forward to a long relationship.

~A

·
Registered
885 Posts
I'm a newbie as well but welcome aboard. I know a few of the guys here from around the web and they are some great guys. A lot of the other guys responses also read extremely well.

Looks like a great forum with a lot of experience and intelligence.

·
Registered
31,133 Posts
I always thought the best place to start an apprentice was 6 months in the supply house, never thought about ending up there...welcome you bring a different perspective for sure.

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
I always thought the best place to start an apprentice was 6 months in the supply house, never thought about ending up there...welcome you bring a different perspective for sure.
Absolutely! Welcome! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
31,133 Posts
Andy:

On a bid job two contractors supply a take off for pricing, both are regular customers. One is a large contractor several million a year from you the other guy no more than 500,000.00 a year from you. Do they get the same price.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Brian,

"Do they get the same price"

You don't think one gets preferential treatment over the other, do you ;)

Happy New Year Everyone and Best Wishes

·
Registered
486 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Welcome andy you might also want to check in with your local inspectors as they may be a wealth of information. I hope you find what you need.:thumbsup:

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
welcome to the board

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone

Andy:

On a bid job two contractors supply a take off for pricing, both are regular customers. One is a large contractor several million a year from you the other guy no more than 500,000.00 a year from you. Do they get the same price.

Just want to say thanks for the welcome wagon.

To answer your question : We have a project department in our boston location. There is what we call a bid board in our ethernet system. It lists the jobs that our project department is bidding and what electricians they have given it to. They bid it at one level and send the same price out to everyone. They all get the same price.

Counter sales and purchases of small amounts of materials that ships direct from a vendor or through our warehouse and it is not a bid project then yes, that's where there will be room for price levels to be adjusted. And I won't lie to you, the bigger they are the bigger a pain in the A** they are. They figure they're giving you so much project business that they deserve the best stock pricing also.

Hope that clears things up a little.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts