Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day,

I am new to the forum. I currently live in Chicago, IL and I have an "office job". I have thought about changing my career and starting an apprenticeship to get into a trade profession, so I have been looking into apprenticeships for a while. I do not have any real experience in the electric field, but I have done different type of farming work.

I found the following organizations providing apprenticeships:

- http://www.necanet.org/
- http://www.njatc.org/training/find.aspx
- http://ibew.org/
- http://www.abc.org/

I have some questions please:

1.Is there any of the above that you recommend?

2. Would the certificate be recognized nation-wide, meaning could I work in any State?

3. Will I need to undergo a State or Board exam after finishing my apprenticeship, before I can start working?

I am planning on moving, so I would be doing my apprenticeship in the South Florida or San Diego, CA area. Can anyone from these 2 areas tell how business and employment opportunities are in these 2 areas, please?

Sorry for the questions.

Paul

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,605 Posts
If your moving, wait to you get we're your going..

But IMHO, the IBEW would be the way to go.
I don't believe you can transfer the hours worked between states while your in the apprenticeship.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
Good day,

I am new to the forum. I currently live in Chicago, IL and I have an "office job". I have thought about changing my career and starting an apprenticeship to get into a trade profession, so I have been looking into apprenticeships for a while. I do not have any real experience in the electric field, but I have done different type of farming work.

I found the following organizations providing apprenticeships:

- http://www.necanet.org/
- http://www.njatc.org/training/find.aspx
- http://ibew.org/
- http://www.abc.org/

I have some questions please:

1.Is there any of the above that you recommend?

2. Would the certificate be recognized nation-wide, meaning could I work in any State?

3. Will I need to undergo a State or Board exam after finishing my apprenticeship, before I can start working?

I am planning on moving, so I would be doing my apprenticeship in the South Florida or San Diego, CA area. Can anyone from these 2 areas tell how business and employment opportunities are in these 2 areas, please?

Sorry for the questions.

Paul
Hello Paul,,:)

Each state has their own requirements for electricians.

Welcome to ET..:thumbup:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If your moving, wait to you get we're your going..
But IMHO, the IBEW would be the way to go.
I don't believe you can transfer the hours worked between states while your in the apprenticeship.
Thank you.
I did not mean while I am doing my apprenticeships. I meant, after I complete the apprenticeship, would the certificate (or whatever it is called) be recognized in all States / nationwide? In other words, if I complete my apprenticeship in State X, work there for a while and then I find a job in State Y, would my apprenticeship be considered in State Y?

·
Coffee drinking member
13,605 Posts
Natan said:
Thank you.
I did not mean while I am doing my apprenticeships. I meant, after I complete the apprenticeship, would the certificate (or whatever it is called) be recognized in all States / nationwide? In other words, if I complete my apprenticeship in State X, work there for a while and then I find a job in State Y, would my apprenticeship be considered in State Y?
Not all states require a license to preform electrical work. Illinois is one of them.

There is no universal electrical license that's good in all states.
But IMO, a good IBEW apprenticeship program will teach you the most.
I'm not in the IBEW & some locations seem to have garbage programs. But check back here and ask about the local you'll be nearest when you get were your going.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Paul,,:)
Each state has their own requirements for electricians.
Welcome to ET..:thumbup:
Hi. Thank you. I was guessing. So what is the level of mobility of electricians between States? Is it something feasible?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not all states require a license to preform electrical work. Illinois is one of them.

I'm not in the IBEW & some locations seem to have garbage programs. But check back here and ask about the local you'll be nearest when you get were your going.
So, no license or certification if any time to perform any time of electrical work? Not even to install industrial equipment for example? I read people talking about A Card / C Card here on the forum and those seem to be some type of certificates to perform some types of work.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking of deciding on where to move also based on the apprenticeship I can get into. It seems like not all organizations9apprenticeships accept new applications.

·
Coffee drinking member
13,605 Posts
Natan said:
So, no license or certification if any time to perform any time of electrical work? Not even to install industrial equipment for example? I read people talking about A Card / C Card here on the forum and those seem to be some type of certificates to perform some types of work.
I don't know that answer.
The people I work for don't need to worry about all that.. We can work anyplace.

Your questions are easier to answer based on were you are located or plan to be located.
Google the IBEW for the locations you want to move to.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know that answer.
The people I work for don't need to worry about all that.. We can work anyplace.

Your questions are easier to answer based on were you are located or plan to be located.
Google the IBEW for the locations you want to move to.
No worries and thank you for replying.

Do you do residential, commercial or HVAC if I may ask? How is the business in your sector? Is the market up, down, stable here in IL ? I see you are from IL.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have taken my test for the IBEW. Which is administered by the JATC. The JATC stands for journeyman apprenticeship training center and its for union electricians. every local has one. I have applied to two locals: 351 in New Jersey and the 212 in Cincinnati. New Jersey is one of the hardest to get into and only administer the test once a year where as the 212 offers it monthly. I'm moving forward with the 212 and have my interview on the 5th. I asked about moving in between locals and it is possible but needs to be okayed by the union house. And the woman in new jersey said shed never seen it happen during apprenticeship. Once you're a journeyman in the union you can travel between union locals but you are considered a "traveler" and are put at the end if the list for work.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have taken my test for the IBEW. Which is administered by the JATC. The JATC stands for journeyman apprenticeship training center and its for union electricians. every local has one. I have applied to two locals: 351 in New Jersey and the 212 in Cincinnati. New Jersey is one of the hardest to get into and only administer the test once a year where as the 212 offers it monthly. I'm moving forward with the 212 and have my interview on the 5th. I asked about moving in between locals and it is possible but needs to be okayed by the union house. And the woman in new jersey said shed never seen it happen during apprenticeship.
Thank you for your reply and feedback Mary. My question about moving was not referring to moving while I am doing my apprenticeship, but AFTER I have completed it, maybe some years after if for example I want to move for whatever reasons to another State or I want to move because the job market is better in another State. This is nothing strange, thousands of people move from one State to another for work each year.

Once you're a journeyman in the union you can travel between union locals but you are considered a "traveler" and are put at the end if the list for work.
Is this before or after you have finished your apprenticeship?

·
Registered
2 Posts
You become a journeyman after apprenticeship. Check out a JATC web page they are very informative. You've got to do your research.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I have taken my test for the IBEW. Which is administered by the JATC. The JATC stands for journeyman apprenticeship training center and its for union electricians. every local has one. ...
The "J" is not for journeyman, it is for Joint. The "C" is not for center, it is for committee.

The union apprenticeship program is run jointly by the IBEW local and its associated NECA chapter. Both the union and the contractors have members on the apprenticeship committee.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
There is no statewide license in Illinois, but many cities or counties have license requirements and if you have one for one city or county, that does not mean it will be acceptable in another city or county.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You become a journeyman after apprenticeship. Check out a JATC web page they are very informative. You've got to do your research.
Thank you for the advice Mary. I have been doing my research and I will keep doing it. I have checked out the http://www.njatc.org website, as well as the other ones that I posted.

I have to add that, in my experience, despite internet being a great thing, the information you can find on it is general and it might be quite different from the real world often times. This is why it is always best to hear what people who have hand on have to say.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The "J" is not for journeyman, it is for Joint. The "C" is not for center, it is for committee.

The union apprenticeship program is run jointly by the IBEW local and its associated NECA chapter. Both the union and the contractors have members on the apprenticeship committee.
This is very true. National Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee - NJATC
IBEW + NECA = http://www.njatc.org/about.aspx

Thank you.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts