Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm a homeowner of a 45 year old home. I know almost nothing about electrical work and would say I can replace a wall socket or do small stuff like wire a ceiling fan.
When we bought the house, the outside outlets, bathrooms, and kitchen were all controlled by a GFCI breaker at the panel although I did realize that at the time. Now some outlets in these rooms have a GFCI, like the kitchen but the bathrooms all have standard outlets.

Whenever I plugged something in outside that main breaker would trip so I thought the outlets were maybe just old and corroded. I replaced both outside outlets with new GFCI ones and it worked fine for about a year. Now that main GFCI breaker at the panel trips again anytime I use the rear outside outlet but not the outlets themselves. Hopefully I'm not confusing anyone.

I hired a handyman who said he didn't do electrical work but told me he thought the old breaker was worn out.

Since I installed new GFCI outlets outside can I just replace the tripping GFCI breaker in the panel with a standard breaker or do I need to replace it with a similar GFCI since the bathrooms are still standard outlets?

Is there any danger having GFCI outlets in multiple locations assuming they are all on the same circuit? I'm assuming that because whenever that breaker trips the outdoor outlets and ones in the kitchen and bathroom don't work.

Anything you all can offer to clear up this stuff would be great appreciated. I want to learn to fix my own house but don't want to blow something up in the process.

·
Administrator
EC
22,221 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. However, working with electricity and electrical systems can be unsafe if not done by a professional licensed electrician. The moderators of this site would like to advise you to contact a professional electrician in your area.If you are permitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, please sign up at our sister site, www.DIYChatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you with your needs. Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to Register

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.