Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. My name is Richard, I'm a electrician in Wichita KS. Look forward to reading and responding to post. Little back ground. Father is retiered Electrician and I'm following in my faters footsteps. I have 30 year field experence in commericial, residental and service. I currently hold a masters and own my own business.

If anyone is wondering about my screen name it is Honda spelled backward. I'm an atv enthusist.

·
Registered
12,412 Posts

Hello everyone. My name is Richard, I'm a electrician in Wichita KS. Look forward to reading and responding to post. Little back ground. Father is retiered Electrician and I'm following in my faters footsteps. I have 30 year field experence in commericial, residental and service. I currently hold a masters and own my own business.

If anyone is wondering about my screen name it is Honda spelled backward. I'm an atv enthusist.
Welcome to the forum. Is it possible to change your name, since you are new, to DROF? Just kidding...welcome.

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
Ground Up

The writers of NFPA 70E sent it out. It will reduce an arc-flash. I can't believe you didn't get the memo.
Still, I did not get that information. If you are talking about the GROUND prong being physically on the bottom of the receptacle, I don't quite see it....arc flash wise.

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
Still, I did not get that information. If you are talking about the GROUND prong being physically on the bottom of the receptacle, I don't quite see it....arc flash wise.
Yes, Ground prong down. Give them a call tomorrow so they can send you the info.

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
Ground Prong down

I am not arguing about this...I have just never heard of it. I myself, have always installed it the way you guys are saying except for a few instances...in nursing homes. Who is correct?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks for the warm Welcome. You all crack me up. I prefer ground down as well since gravitys a bitch. Any body drive one up, gd rod that is.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On a more serious side. Installing a rec with the ground up would be safer if a flat metal object would fall across the plug if not fit tight into the recep. In commerical I could see this with the exception that all loose fitting recept should be replaced. In an resi sitution most cord ends are two prong and dont much matter. With the new code change refering to arc fault and GFCI protection I really think it's a personal preference. Whats next twit lock every where. What I do in the resi kitchens where a recp is installed horazonal I install with the grouned conducter side up. Agian personal preference.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts