Electrician Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found this site and have to say my head is spinning with all the info out there. Just a little background first:

I immigrated to the U.S. 8 months ago. I have BA in electrical engineering but only worked as a trainee back home for 4 years. Job opportunities there aren't so good...and my wife is American so I got an immigration visa. Anyway, wondering if there is anyone in a similar situation. My degree means nothing here, even though I am working on getting it evaluated. I'm now looking for work as an electrician because my journey to become a licensed engineer here seems like it will definitely take some time. Was working a min. wage job for a few months, but it was mind-numbing night-shift job. :eek: Couldn't take it for long.

I'm in North Jersey, so if anyone has any advice for me, I'd greatly appreciate it. So glad I found this forum. :thumbup:

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
Just found this site and have to say my head is spinning with all the info out there. Just a little background first:

I immigrated to the U.S. 8 months ago. I have BA in electrical engineering but only worked as a trainee back home for 4 years. Job opportunities there aren't so good...and my wife is American so I got an immigration visa. Anyway, wondering if there is anyone in a similar situation. My degree means nothing here, even though I am working on getting it evaluated. I'm now looking for work as an electrician because my journey to become a licensed engineer here seems like it will definitely take some time. Was working a min. wage job for a few months, but it was mind-numbing night-shift job. :eek: Couldn't take it for long.

I'm in North Jersey, so if anyone has any advice for me, I'd greatly appreciate it. So glad I found this forum. :thumbup:
Welcome aboard...:thumbsup:

The occupation of electrician is a profession so if you just want to work as an apprentice, while you become an engineer then you should find something else to do.

The electrical trade does not need people who do not plan on sticking with the profession.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
You might do well to apply to some engineering firms. There are a lot of foreign engineers who have made it here (not saying it won't take more schooling)

Reactions: John Valdes

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
32,449 Posts
I 1 2. Immagwent I mean.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts