Electrician Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for replacing a UL AWM 2464 cable used in Industrial Machine Operating handles by its equivalent with nfpa79 conformity. I know that using a Listed MTW cable will solve the problem, but before making this investment (about 200km of cable...) I'd like to be sure that my AWM is not NFPA79 compliant. Is there anyone who could help me on this issue? Thanks !:)

·
Premium Member
20,984 Posts
Oh, no. That was a 2007 change. They took out your ability to use AWM conductors. They're really pushing for MTW (or any NFPA recognized conductor). Appliance Wiring Material is not an NFPA recognized conductor.

·
Premium Member
20,984 Posts
Because I was bored, I was reading 79 some more today. It seems that you can get away with using AWM is that wiring is part of a UL Listed Assembly. Has your whole assembly been field evaluated for UL compliance, with a UL sticker on it covering the whole assembly? If so, it's looking like you can use AWM if the UL blessed the whole assembly, and 79 goes out the window.

Reactions: Nass

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Your help is very useful. we are now developing a new series of Operating Handles and I'm not sure if we need to change our actual AWM to obtain the UL Listed assembly certificate...Moreover, It doesn't seem that UL2464 is available in MTW. I am therefore wondering with which kind of cable can I replace mine with.
Our AWM cable is also certified CSA C22.2 210.2-M90, but I think it is yet not NFPA79 compliant...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts