Electrician Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

My name is Daniel. I live about 80 miles East of Houston,TX. I entered a plumbing apprenticeship after I got out of high school. After a few years I got a license. Soon a few hurricanes came through, and there was such a wealth of work I decided it was time to take my license and building knowledge, and incorporate. I registered as a contractor, started my business, and got in the phone books. I had a successful run for a couple of years, but eventually could not keep enough work for stable help.

With the housing market going down, and the oil business hitting record highs I decided to enter the offshore oilfield. It's good money,food,fishing, and benefits. It's a pretty good game for a young, single man. I worked hard, got a couple promotions, and was just buckling down to put in my time. Then a week back I had an offer that will potentially change my path. If I can exhibit some basic electrical competency I can work as an electrician on the rigs.

The competencies are fairly easy. Reading blueprints, drawing circuits, etc. I can get the job, but safety is my number one priority. I need to study my ass off! I'm relatively green and have always hired licensed electricians in my past.

My plans are to work a few hours a day over with the electricians, obtain applicable reading material, and utilize information on the internet (i.e. this forum).

This looks like an awesome site, and I'm very grateful to the people that make these things happen. Without sites like these I'd never have built amps, projectors, or a dune buggy. I'm looking forward to participating.:thumbsup:

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
Welcome! :thumbsup:

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So you are a plumber and if you can read blue prints they will make you an electrician?!?!?:eek:

Well I am a plumber. I can read blueprints for residential and commercial buildings. Everything from a hose bib to a RPZ. I worked primarily residential with about 20% of my work commercial. No industrial. Besides for elementary electrical symbols I need to study. The blueprint reading part is the easy part. If you read the post you will see the other requirement is drawing circuits. This is the more difficult part. I've begun studying. They are not just giving me a job as an electrician:eek:!! The prerequisite in my case was a lifetime of construction/building experience, years of loyal service in harsh weather, dangerous conditions, completion of hundreds of written competencies, an unappealable personality test 1/8 of people fail, exibiting knowledge of ballast control, anchor winch operation, drilling components, Material Management Service regulation, Pump Room operation, and many more requirements. Now through my efforts, and taking pride in my work (something that is sadly missing in most of the workers) I been offered an incredible opportunity. So I've picked up a few hundred dollars of books, taken a part time job at a robotics firm, and will leave tomorrow night to go back to the rig where I'll start apprenticing in my off time. If it were as simple as it sounds then I wouldn't be one of the fastest advancing people in the company. They don't just give these jobs away.:thumbsup:

P.S. With oil prices down it will probably be hard to get even an entry level job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts